Athearn Genisis Challenger

I just got it today it showed up via UPS. I am in aw over its looks and lights and sounds are ok. I put it on my test track and it started to vibrate. Yes its like a mini Jack hammer. It runs around the track but with the worse Athearn growl I have ever seen and it vibrates it self so bad I am at a loss. If it runs all the Gears are ok? Any thoughts on this?

your not the only one having problems with the challenger. i dont know what could be causing your problems, but i am having decoder problems on mine. when i started having problems i contacted athearn about it and they said send it in for evaluation and repair.

I think they could save all us the trouble and test them all before they send them out couldnt they?
At higher speeds its not so bad and it stays on the rail but at slower speeds the foward set was jumping track but my rerailer would do its job. Kinda a dissapointment if you ask me But I have only a few Athearns that run smooth. My Gensis SD70M, both of my SD50's and both my SD40T-2's are fine, My SD45T-2's both growl and when they do they slow down.
What supprises me is that the Challanger runs around the track just fine at speed but it makes alot of gear noise... I am wondering it this will solve itself with age? just a thought but I will contact Athearn about it, I may however just take it to a train store and see if they can figure anything out.

No, it won't get better with age. Athearn has had a lot of problems with the gear towers on these units and you should contact Athearn about getting a warranty repair. From what I read, some of the gears are not properly machined to correct tolerances, which is what's causing the vibration and nosie, This is something you want Athearn to fix. And yes, it would be nice it they tested these thing before they left the factory but I'm not sure women in China know what a Challenger is supposed to do or sound like.

Well some good news to come from this. I called Athearn and explaind it to dave and he said that it sounded like a loose driveshaft. I opend it up to find that was exactly the problem. Running very smooth now and looks great.

Glad to hear you got it fixed but remember you talked to Dave on today's date and he told you to open up the engine in case it still needs to go back for repairs.

Well I think I will post a few Pictures of this grand Locomotive. Very nice indeed.

3985.jpg

39852.jpg

On another note since I found the problem with it I really enjoy seing it run. Its a very well done engine. Sounds are good however I think that the BLI sounds are better. You have several whistles to choose from including one that sounds alot like the real one. I didnt like that the drivers were set up at the same location so I pulled off the cover on the front set and rotated them halfway around so they were set differant, this is very easy to do anyway. DCC is very smooth and responds great. Locomotive transisitions well thru speeds and sound works good with speed. I like the Athearn lights over the BLI lights as they are more of a realistic tone where as the BLI lights are to white. The only real thing I dont like about this one is when you pick up the locomotive you have to be very carefull and pick up the front set of drivers or you will have a time getting the pipes set back into there slots on the front pistons and under the smoke house. they pivit with the front of the engine but are porly set into there slots. I do like how the Tender hooks to the Engine with a draw bar that clips in place instead of having the pin and metal plate that older engines had. The top is held on by two screws that are covered by sanding towers which are in place nice and snug cant even tell that they are there.
The number boards light up nice and bright and are very legible
All in all I give this engine an 9 out of 10. Its well worth what I got it for. I payed $260 and the price tag on the box read 399 so I got a deal. Look for Mark Twain Hobby Center store on Ebay for that good of a deal on them. They are out of Missouri.

Its well worth what I got it for. I payed $260 and the price tag on the box read 399 so I got a deal. Look for Mark Twain Hobby Center store on Ebay for that good of a deal on them. They are out of Missouri.
Could you link them, I'd like to get a Challenger...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200221829321

I am going to get an 844 from him as well when they come out for sale. He is going to send me an email when they do come out in a few months. This is about the best price I have seen on a brand new challanger and these have the DCC and sound installed already. If that isnt the road number you want I think he has a few others for sale if you look thru his ebay store.

Thanks, I'll be picking on up soon! Hopefully they don't sell out. I'm waiting to buy the Blueline ATSF 3751 first.

I have seen him selling them pretty fast but he always posts more. I think he keeps ordering them as he sells them, as he keeps posting new links to them.

Back