Anyone know any thing about

Don't know a thing about it but it's been in storage for 10 years. Depending on how well the storage was done, it could either be a nice layout or a disaster. Looks like a lot of scenery to be completed and the listing isn't too clear about what's included besides the track, wiring, and benchwork. I'd certainly go take a look at it if I was near NJ and in the market for a layout that size.

The two things that would be the most worriesome would be how the track pieces are attached (hopefully soldered), and how well the wiring stood up to the time. Electrical issues are the biggest bugaboos to a smooth running layout, and any corrosion or intermittent electrical contact means a lot of time trying to troubleshoot.

Kennedy

I have a great wife: when asked whether I could evict middle child from his bedroom to install giant layout, she said, no, but I could rent a studio in a converted mill nearby if I wanted... Must remember to keep her happy!

I'm not really interested in buying this layout, but wondered what's what with it. Looks sort of strange to me - lots of track, lots of work done, but toyish in layout and hard to operate. Looks like it reflects a style of "let em run" operation rather than realistic operation. Also, as a friend pointed out, why do to that length and install above table switch machines?

Probably because in 1978, when this layout was built, there really weren't any under table switch machines. There were only few types of remote turnouts available and, to my memory. none of them had any sort of under table option except the classic choke cable. As Kennedy wrote, I'd really be concerned about wiring and corrosion. N scale equipment was not as well made almost 30 years ago as it is today and having it sitting around all that time probably hasn't helped matters. I suspect you could build the whole thing new by the time you got done troubleshooting all the electrical issues.

Back