And for something totally different and seldom seen, American OO trains

malletman

Alcohaulic
Back in the years just before WWII, there were two smaller scale competing for the smaller than O scale market. One was HO, the other was OO, which is a tad larger at 1:76th scale. But you might say "wait a min, the UK still uses OO", and they do, but its running on the wrong gauge track. They kept the larger OO scale but used the more commonly available HO track, which is a compromise to fit decent motors in the smaller UK loco's before we had really nice small motors. Back to the American side, the track gauge is 3/4 of an inch over the 5/8ths of HO. While most locomotives were sand cast brass or crude diecast, relying on the modeler to turn them into a masterpiece(and many did), Lionel jumped into the fray with a jewel like NYC J1e Hudson. They shrunk the lines premier 700e O scale Hudson down to OO. Available in 3 and 2 rail version as well as full scale detail and partial or semi scale as they called it. Tenders, also diecast could be had with the 2 tone air whistle in both 2 and 3 rail. The freight cars, slighltly modified clones of Scale Craft cars were also all diecast metal. A box car, tank car, 2 bay hopper and PRR style caboose were made. The 1938 set is unique, both in the design of the track, paint schemes on the cars and some designs in the locomotive. This is the set I have, along with a 003 two rail Hudson that I converted to 3 rail power pickup. It took till the late 70's before a J1e was this detailed in brass, even the Rivarossi one isnt as detaled as Lionel pulled off in 1938. Pretty stunning for pre WWII technology. Here are a couple pics and a video link of my set running on the small portable layout I am building for it. The track and train are the complete set from the first year of production.
20201111-215203.jpg

20201111-215211.jpg

20201111-215223.jpg

20201111-215230.jpg

16043440148272652435990078169620.jpg

They really were Rico. There was an article on the line years ago in Classic Toy Trains called "Lionel OO, To Little-To Early" Its been speculated that had WWII not happened and had Lionel pushed a bit harder to expand the line beyond 1 locomotive type and 4 basic freight cars, things might have looked different after the war. But afterwards they went after the toy side of the market in O gauge and HO took over for the popular small scale trains. Some OO companies hung on into the 50's catering to the guys that were still modeling in that scale, and there are a few out there still with OO layouts, usually using On3 flex track and switches for a 2 rail layout. For 3 rail your stuck with high doller vintage Lionel stuff or the really Hi rail Gargraves stuff that lacks a matching switches sadly.

The detail level on the full detail Hudsons (001e and 003e) is astounding for being made in the late 1930's. They really are a mini 700e(the O gauge scale Hudson that is the holy grail for many). The semi scale version(002e and 004e) are scale size still, just less details, no hand rails on the tender, both could have a whistle tender or non whistle tender, just like the O scale Lionel stuff had. The Hudson's frame is prone to warpage, but its not a zine pest issue, but a design flaw that allows the front boiler screw that goes down thru the stack, to pull up on the frame, while the cat walk ladders push down on the pilot deck, make it bow downwards till the cow catcher drags the rails and shorts. I have figured out how to jig the frame and using a wood clamp and a micro torch, straighten it back out. Then you only tighten the stack screw enough to retain the catwalk steps and no tighter.

Back in the years just before WWII, there were two smaller scale competing for the smaller than O scale market. One was HO, the other was OO, which is a tad larger at 1:76th scale. But you might say "wait a min, the UK still uses OO", and they do, but its running on the wrong gauge track. They kept the larger OO scale but used the more commonly available HO track, which is a compromise to fit decent motors in the smaller UK loco's before we had really nice small motors. Back to the American side, the track gauge is 3/4 of an inch over the 5/8ths of HO. While most locomotives were sand cast brass or crude diecast, relying on the modeler to turn them into a masterpiece(and many did), Lionel jumped into the fray with a jewel like NYC J1e Hudson. They shrunk the lines premier 700e O scale Hudson down to OO. Available in 3 and 2 rail version as well as full scale detail and partial or semi scale as they called it. Tenders, also diecast could be had with the 2 tone air whistle in both 2 and 3 rail. The freight cars, slighltly modified clones of Scale Craft cars were also all diecast metal. A box car, tank car, 2 bay hopper and PRR style caboose were made. The 1938 set is unique, both in the design of the track, paint schemes on the cars and some designs in the locomotive. This is the set I have, along with a 003 two rail Hudson that I converted to 3 rail power pickup. It took till the late 70's before a J1e was this detailed in brass, even the Rivarossi one isnt as detaled as Lionel pulled off in 1938. Pretty stunning for pre WWII technology. Here are a couple pics and a video link of my set running on the small portable layout I am building for it. The track and train are the complete set from the first year of production.
20201111-215203.jpg

20201111-215211.jpg

20201111-215223.jpg

20201111-215230.jpg

16043440148272652435990078169620.jpg

I guess that's pretty much priceless......................................................Can I have it then? I could manage that.

Back