Amps

brubakes

Excuse the newbie..... How do I know how many amps I need or should plan on needing for a setup? Is there like a chart or a rule of thumb to fallow?

With DCC, you need to allow about .1 to .15 amps per locomotive sitting on the layout plus .25 to .5 amps for each locomotive moving on the layout. If you are in HO, I would tend toward the high side of the range. With N, the low side is okay.

If you plan to have lighted passenger cars for cabooses, you will need to allow for them as well.

0.5A may work fine for newer engines, but you'll want more for older stock and longer hauling trains. I have older Athearns that draw over an amp going up a modest 2% grade with a few cars. My DC supply is 1.5A and that is at the edge for some engines.

Mark

Is it possible to over amp your layout? meaning if i get a higher end DCC system and use it with a small layout at first.

Is it possible to over amp your layout? meaning if i get a higher end DCC system and use it with a small layout at first.

No - it'd be like having a 10 cylinder motor in your every day commuter instead of the base 6 cylinder. It will get you where you want to go, but if you happen to want to haul a 30 foot boat on the way you can do it with the 10 cyl. :)

Really it has to do with cost as well - if you can afford the higher current booster I'd do it. (Of course that just my opinion though.)

Mark

Back