Adding sound to dcc fitted locos

Good evening all, I purchased a Bachmann 50206 HO WesternYour assistance will be appriciated. Pacific GS64 4-8-4 that states its DCC fitted but I have no sound? I use a NCE Powercab, whilst I got the loco operating well enough I can't operate the sound. Does sound come with all dcc fitted loco's? and does this particular model have sound? if not how do I add sound? Your assistance will be appriciated.

Some issues of locomotives are DCC only, while others are DCC-Sound Equipped, or DCC/Sound, however they state it, and that is what you should receive based on the advertised specs on the box's end-plate.

If the box simply states 'DCC'. with no mention of 'sound', then that is what you have. You must install, or have installed for you, a sound decoder AND the harness and speaker. The speaker must be in a sealed enclosure or it will only produce a meagre volume. So, it needs a suitably sized AND placed 'baffle' of some kind, usually a shallow plastic cylinder of the same diameter/shape/dimensions as the speaker.

If the item is meant to have sound, have you somehow pressed F8 and muted it? Maybe the decoder needs to be reset (CV8 to a value of '08', or whatever the accompanying instructions say for a reset.) If it then makes loud volume, it will have reset to Address '03', and you'll need to adjust the Master Volume in whatever CV does that.

Is any of this helping?

Last edited:
Hello and thanks for the reply. I appriciate your advice, It is helping to a degree. I am new to DCC so I have never had anything to do with decoders. That being said, I am sure there will be plenty of instructional video's on helping me with installation. From what I can see on the box there is no mention of sound on the box or on packaging so I m assuming I don't have sound equiped. My confusion was that Bachmann had released 3 models of the GS4 at the same time. One is the American Freedom Loco, the SP Daylights version and the one mentioned here. Both the SPD and AFT have sound equipped the the 4 8 4 mountain does not it seems, which was a bit odd if you asked me.

I guess my next will be can you put in any sound sound decoder? and any speaker? or are there specific ones made for my loco? Also, how do I actually install the specific sound file for that loco? is there some sort sound library that you can tap into that you can download and install? Or can I buy one one that is pre programmed? Sorry to be difficult, this is very new tome my head is still in the DC game.

Digitrax has made a sound-only decoder called a Sound Bug. You may be able to track one of them down. Installation is pretty easy, connect the two power pickup leads, and program it along with the motor decoder to the road number.

I guess my next will be can you put in any sound sound decoder? and any speaker? or are there specific ones made for my loco? Also, how do I actually install the specific sound file for that loco? is there some sort sound library that you can tap into that you can download and install? Or can I buy one one that is pre programmed? Sorry to be difficult, this is very new tome my head is still in the DC game.

Any decoder rated for HO service (2.2 amp maximum in most cases) will do, provided it has the requisite 'steam' sound files. A Tsunami variant ought to come with something passable for bell, chuff sounds, whistle, and so on. Or, the TCS 'Wow' decoders, or the ESULokSound decoders. Some need the specific files loaded, and you specify that when you order the decoder. Others have banks of files from which you select whichever ones appeal to you. Visit sites that sell decoders such as Tony's Train Exchange or Litchfield Station. They'll guide you through a purchase, and if you need specific files, you'll be able to request those. The decoder will come to you loaded as you have asked. Great service from either place.

Any decoder rated for HO service (2.2 amp maximum in most cases) will do, provided it has the requisite 'steam' sound files. A Tsunami variant ought to come with something passable for bell, chuff sounds, whistle, and so on. Or, the TCS 'Wow' decoders, or the ESULokSound decoders. Some need the specific files loaded, and you specify that when you order the decoder. Others have banks of files from which you select whichever ones appeal to you. Visit sites that sell decoders such as Tony's Train Exchange or Litchfield Station. They'll guide you through a purchase, and if you need specific files, you'll be able to request those. The decoder will come to you loaded as you have asked. Great service from either place.

Thank you so much for the info and for all of you being so generous with your time. It has been really helpful. Have a great Christmas and hopefully a better 2021.

that particular number of bachmanns [ 50206] is DCC only, no sound ....
any of the add on sound decoders should fit, or you can replace the factory decoder with one with sound, there are many choices ..

Back