? about metal wheels

tahoebob54

HI am new to this forum and just getting back into HO railroad after alnost 25 yerars. I am looking to chance to wheels on my Mopac passenger train. the cars are from the late 80th, Atheran heavy weight cars with 3 wheels on each truck. :eek:oking at the Atherne webpage I see many options.
33" short alxe
36" both long and short ales.

Can any onr please tell me what ones I shold put on my old cars?

Thanks
TB

33" are the common freight car wheel. (on cars under 100 ton capacity)
36" are used on passenger cars and 100+ ton capacity modern freight cars.

So the passenger cars would logically take 36" however the caveat is that the original models were probably designed with standard 33" plastic wheels so you may or may not need to adjust ride or coupler height (but then these would be old cars with truck mounted couplers so the car bodies ride a bit high anyway and anyway the difference is about 0.02" so it's negligible).

The long/short axle will depend on what fits into the sideframe, but "most" take a common length.

HI am new to this forum and just getting back into HO railroad after alnost 25 yerars. I am looking to chance to wheels on my Mopac passenger train. the cars are from the late 80th, Atheran heavy weight cars with 3 wheels on each truck. :eek:oking at the Atherne webpage I see many options.
33" short alxe
36" both long and short ales.

Can any onr please tell me what ones I shold put on my old cars?

Thanks
TB
Just a quick bit of advice for trouble-free operation, TB....................

While an NMRA Standards Gauge is your very best friend, a coupler height gauge comes in at a darned close second. Whether you're changing out wheel sets or not. ;)👍

Walthers sells all sorts of trucks for pax cars. Maybe you could get them to fit your cars with a little modification?

Back