2 in 1 Does Go - Steam

Awesome layout ! Love it ! Can I call you Glencairn too ?

Thanks for your comments on my layout, Bergerac.

Strange that you mention Glencairn. :) I only use that on two U.K. sites that I have been a member of for years. Do you still look in on New Railway Modellers Forum?

As I now live in the land of the old North British Railway I adopted it as a sign in nearly 15 years ago.

Under NorthBrit pictures of my layout Leeds Sovereign Street, Crown Point and Clarence Dock are seen in the U.S.A. Canada and New Zealand.

Clarence Dock

IMG_2444.JPG

'Bezel' departing with a local passenger train from Clarence Dock Station to Leeds Central.

IMG_2443.JPG

David

Bachmann have produced some Thomas the Tank four wheeled carriages that (with minor attention) fit in with the layout.

The three carriages purchased.

IMG_2488.JPG

Repainted to Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway colours. Needs another coat of paint.

IMG_2494.JPG

The other two weathered a little. The roofs need the shine removed.

IMG_2495.JPG

David

I love your scenery - it is so realistic and so very well done, it all looks so natural!

At the risk of offending some people - it seems as though every layout that I have seen from a UK person has had brilliant scenery, even what they call bad looks great. What is it with the Brits, are you guys (and girls) born with some special Scenery Gene the res of the world doesn't know about ?? :)

I love your scenery - it is so realistic and so very well done, it all looks so natural!

At the risk of offending some people - it seems as though every layout that I have seen from a UK person has had brilliant scenery, even what they call bad looks great. What is it with the Brits, are you guys (and girls) born with some special Scenery Gene the res of the world doesn't know about ?? :)
I agree wholeheartedly. It may be due to the fact that they all tend to do smaller layouts than we Americans do, and are able to spend more time tending to them. The somewhat dismal weather that I hear Brits describe may well have something to do with it also.
I have always loved David's scenery.

Thank you for your kind comments, Tony. To be honest railway/railroad modelling is not my 'first love'. What it does is helps me use my fingers. A mild stroke caused the loss of use of three of my fingers on my right hand. Arthritis in my left hand doesn't help.

With scenery it is a case of see what you see and not what you thought you saw.
The sky is not blue (here anyway :) ) Oh there is blue there, but there is white, pinks and yellows.
Trees are fifty shades of green. Likewise with grass.
Coal is not pure black. Deep blue can be seen.
Weather is not all sunshine. Puddles are great fun to model. :)

I cannot answer for the rest of the Brits, but myself, I don't have a 'special scenery gene'. 😃 Errors are numerous. One day I shall correct them. Meanwhile, I just have fun and run trains.

Edit: It has taken ages to type this, Willie has posted in between. Thank you also, Willie.

David

Southbound ammunition freight train.

Passing Roseville Station. People watching. The cat on the shed roof not interested.

IMG_2600.JPG

Arriving at Leeds Sovereign Street Station

IMG_2601.JPG

On its way to Crown Point Yard.

IMG_2604.JPG

A Crown Point Yard

IMG_2605.JPG

A change of locomotive. More wagons added and southwards it goes towards France.

IMG_2607.JPG

David

Scenes at Leeds Sovereign Street

Beyond the boxes on the platforms is backscene. The real Sovereign Street is warehouses; in the 1950s /1960s with the poor lighting it gave a grim, dark, dismal, smoky appearance. I loved it.

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

With the station being in the city centre space is a premium, giving a cramped appearance

IMG_2947.JPG

Today Sovereign Street is 'a place to be seen'. The warehouses are now (expensive) apartments, offices and 'high end' restaurants.

David

Love your posts, great modeling.

I don't get the title??

Glad you like, Hutch.

2 into 1?

Not many years back the layout was purely diesel operated. Then my grandchildren joined in. I didn't want them to handle the diesels. Little hands and all that. I did have a small number of little 0.4.0 steam locomotives from an old layout. I let the grandchildren run them instead. Some four wheeled freight wagons and carriages were purchased. They loved it.

Fast forward three or four years they wanted to run the diesels; which I allowed.

The layout was 'set around the late 1970s' (as I said) running diesels. With now a fairly large number of steam locomotives I had the idea of running them in a timeframe 1914/1919.

Both steam and diesel locomotives run on the same layout; different timeframes. Hence 2 (steam and diesel) on one layout.

I have two threads running. 2 into 1 does go - steam and 2 into 1 does go - diesels. :)

David

A busy time at Crown Point Yard

IMG_2643.JPG

Clarence Dock seen as you enter the room. The 'dock water' was a temporary thing to check the door opened properly. Which it does. A job on the list to do.

IMG_2647.JPG

The coal yard at Clarence Dock Yard.

IMG_2649.JPG

David

Back