00 Dover Priory rescue plan

Jaz avalley

Station cat
An old friend is moving and his layout needs a new home, after a club and two parties failed to process we have offered to take it on. The station he models is not ready made, the research he has established is historical, and he lives in the town that he modelled and the hands on knowledge he has is irreplaceable. He no longer models, but could, and I might be able to get him on line kicking and screaming in order to fill in the details of his fine work.
There is also a small water scene YEAH.
There is essentially 2 sides 2foot x 18foot each. we have told him he would be a fool to part with his rolling stock without getting top dollar, but we will certainly have some correct rolling stock of our own for this station.
He has historically come and stayed here previously and will be more than welcome in the future to come visit.
I raised the idea in the coffee shop, but for future reference (hopefully imminently) ie end of this month would appreciate anyone comments idea experiences thoughts on pulling out from one home and moving to another.

Like us it is not portable, a lot is not braced to the boards, he says some boards are warped, and need replacing. We have left overs from our own builds and spare as we always plan to do Blackpool in time (still room for this benefit of living in a long bungalow with an attached granny annexe)

The foam elements and the station will be fragile. certain parts can be easily repaired if necessary. The station parts will be handled with kid gloves.

Please please feel free to throw up any ideas that may help with this.

Likely a dremmel will cut track and repairs afterwards will be a refit as we tore out and turn Arboretum Valley Goathland so we know we can cope with that. Goathland is on 4 foot deep boards but 2 foot boards should be a doddle, fingers crossed. I will literally scoop up any loose ballast etc for reuse. Cardboard boxes flattened may be a way to store the sheets for travel.

Here is the signal box that is modelled, wait till I show you the model it is a modellers dream.

https://www.modelrailforum.com/media/6882/full
1683707264718.png

Many years ago, a group of modelers helped a pastor take down his layout to move.
With saws, crow bars and hammers, they proceeded to the place of destruction. The pastor's wife announced their arrival as, " The wrecking crew is here, Thus, our model railroad club was named "The Wrecking Crew".
Being an experienced group, they used a Japanese handsaw to section scenery areas that were to be saved. The Japanese saws have a very thin kerf and are easier to control around delicate areas than power saws.
My 2 cents worth.

We have a tool called a 4" angle grinder which usually holds a rotating stone tool, for sharpening an axe or shovel.

There is also a thin cutting blade designed to cut sheet metal. that can be fixed in there in place of the stone. I use that to cut track that has been installed and it is very clean and also makes a relatively thin cut. It is very loud and requires hearing protection. Not near the vibration of an oscillating cutoff saw, probably could go through some thinner plywood.

I did dismantle a larger layout, first by removing the buildings, and then cutting benchwork into sections that could be hauled up the stairs and out the door. Was able to salvage one piece 2' x 8', left a couple buildings attached that were solid.

Most things I build have been reinforced since we moved 9 times in 10 years and I still have several of the buildings. After a few repairs I have learned that some strategically placed JB Weld Epoxy during the construction process goes a long way.

Good Luck, Dave LASM

Dave
You make a good point I have known him for years and need to find out if it is in a garage or a cellar, and how we get it out. As he says we will be hard pressed to get out much in the way of boards of any value I am wondering whether on the recipe visit we might check and see what fits in the Tesla, if we can fit it in in one go or two visits inc the reconnaissance we would save quite a bit on a hire vehicle one way as we don’t fancy returning it.Luckily we made sure our model was ordered with a tow bar, so that is a possibility on the second visit. Of course our Tesla is a 3 not a Y and the cybertruck won’t be available here anytime soon - boo hiss- and they are considering doing a stupid Euro model sad face. We have. Number of battery tools the other half loves toys…..winks.

Mikey any interesting concept I’ll point it out to the other half.

Gomez….I mean Terry …..yeah pictures and videos. Must

Back