Search results

1. G

Need help with digital camera.

I personally haven't cracked one in awhile. Most of the stuff I own is probably out of print. The concepts never change though. Take a trip down to the local library. They will undoubtedly have several. I know Ansel Adams had a really good series of books. His landscape work was out of this...
  2. G

modeling steel cable

Guitar strings
  3. G

Need help with digital camera.

The best piece of camera equipment you can purchase right now is a book on composition and basic techniques. I can take better photographs then most in this forum using my 1953 Leica IIIF or my 1970 Minotla SRT 101. Both great cameras. These days digital is the thing. I have a Cannon A520...
  4. G

Which source?

Out of the four hobby shops I did business with, four went out of business. I do most of my shopping at Trainfest in Milwaukee and other smaller swap meets. Jim
  5. G

Life Like

I'll third that and say that the Proto 2000 stuff is really great. And that's in DC mode. The cheaper stuff though, avoid it. Jim
  6. G

Gremlins?

Gremlins on the railroad is what keeps things interesting. Just when you think you've seen it all, some new head scratcher pops up. I regard them as learning experiences and with my railroad, I'm well on my way to become a learned man. Ha. Jim
  7. G

How to make an omelet

Kind of reminds me of a long time ago derailment where a box car full of cases of beer split open. Talk about the fastest clean up in history.
  8. G

Railroad Pole, with bigger selection

I model the Milwaukee. I'm more Swede then anything else, no offense to the Poles. Cheers jim
  9. G

Traction Problem

Go down to your local fleet & Farm or Farm & Fleet, what ever they call it and pick up a can of BELT-EASE. This is a product designed for belts on a farm tractor so they don't slip even after they are somewhat worn out. Apply a coat to one of the drive wheels on both sides of the loco. Make...
  10. G

Smoke Units

Try one of those party supply places. They have smoke units that won't poison everyone out. They are designed for your intended use. Jim
  11. G

'Toy' train set radius?

Just a thought. If you have a room you can devote to your model railroading, why not go around the perimeter of the room rather then confining yourself to a sheet of plywood? It will feature longer runs, easier access and you can make nice wide radius turns. If I was starting over, that's...
  12. G

getting back into it~

I think you would be well served by a trip to the public library. There you'll be able to find a wealth of information. When I started I also picked up some of the Atlas books at the local hobby shop. Although they are slanted toward atlas products they can be a great source of basic info...
  13. G

Question...

I work out of my home, but I gave a store front my business name. I also modeled buildings for my other hobbies. I've got a dive shop, a bicycle shop and a liquor store. My favorite one though is Donut world. There are pictures of that one elsewhere on this board. Jim
  14. G

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

That's what John Allen style track cleaning cars are for. Noooo problemo!:) Jim
  15. G

Gj@pa Rr

That's a great idea. I could probably hook up three of the stubs to the inside loop on the other side. That would really open up operations. Take a little pressure off the 050. Ha Thanks. jim
  16. G

Gj@pa Rr

GJ&PA RR Cont. Finaly, my sons yard & mill complex and I modeled myself and my daughter sitting in a tree railfanning our own pike. Ha. Hope you like the pic's! Jim
  17. G

Gj@pa Rr

GJ&PA RR Cont. Here we have shots of the town of coldwater, the diesel area and the coal mine. A bit farther along here as this was the original section of the layout. I'm still working on the streets and lighting more of the buildings. Always room for more tree's.
  18. G

Gj@pa Rr

Gj&pa Rr Okay, here are a few layout shots. We'll start with the main freight yard and steam facility. All plywood here as of yet. I have some long range tweaking to do first, like adding ground throws and undertable switch machines. Although it may not appear so, one can get around three...
  19. G

Gj@pa Rr

Must be one of our men in blue.:) Here are a couple of interior shots showing people patiently waiting to be served. I'll post some actual railroad shots later.
  20. G

Gj@pa Rr

Had a heck of a week. Been a windows man for over ten years. This is my first Apple attempts partially oweing to a computer melt down. The pictures are of a building on my layout called Donut World. It's a fun little place using a kit bashed Walters hardware store. I'll post more layout...

Back