Search results

1. N

My FOURTH attempt. Attic... or basement?

Some of you may have seen me post here before, some time ago. Well a lot has happened in my personal life (divorce and all that fun stuff) but later this year I'm FINALLY ready to start over. This time, I've learned from past mistakes and I'm ready to do this right. Which means: 1. This...
  2. N

Is my math right? (scaling)

I'm planning on doing scalescene's free kits. Apparently, it's a British company (I'm fairly certain it wasn't a while back). Now if I like the kits and want to buy some of them, they take paypal so there should be no problem with the currency conversion, but they do not have HO scale...
  3. N

What material to use for conveyor belts?

I want to add a conveyor system to my HO scale layout. I'm hoping to get a belt bewteen 7/8" and 1" wide to model Consol energy's 72" and 84" belt systems that they run in the mines around here. I actually have detailed prints on the transfers, drives and other equipment they use, but I doubt...
  4. N

Post-apocalyptic railroad

I hope this is the right forum for this, because there isn't much to show off just yet, but I figure I can update with more pics as I get more done. So far, this is basically just a concept of the first town on what is a rebuilding effort, circa 10 or 20 years after a nuclear holocaust. The...
  5. N

Had an idea today, need a little inspiration

I haven't done any scenery at all yet on my layout, and I've decided to go a different way, something as far as I can tell nobody else has done (at least done and posted pictures that are easy to find). I want to model a post-apocalyptic world. Still United States, southwestern Pennsylvania...
  6. N

Constructing a patch town

I want to construct a patch town, consisting of several dozen similar houses. For those of you who don't know, a patch town (at least as it is referred to around here) is a small group of houses, all built during the same time frame by a coal mine developer to serve as housing for miners and...
  7. N

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

Maybe it's just me, but I look out my attic window and think to myself that I could build a real nice bridge right into my neighbor's attic. Now I'm not going to try to talk my neighbor (who I never really talk to anyway) into an expensive and time consuming hobby, but I found it to be a pretty...
  8. N

Grade and distributed power

I'm working my new layout and it's going to require a pretty steep grade (4%) up and then back down in order to get over the doorway and not be in the way. Also (and maybe this is a bad habit I'll have to change) I run actual loads, not the plastic lids you can put on hoppers, but charcoal...
  9. N

Switches

Is it considered OK to wire one side of the track direct and have a switch for the other? Seems to me it would work, but I'm worried there might be some reason not to do that.
  10. N

Too soon?

Anybody else have their kids into model railroading, or plan to? Little Abigail doesn't really know what to do with that thing at 4 months of course, but soon enough she will. Oh and anybody who says this stuff is just for boys, maybe it once was. I think my daughter is going to just love to...
  11. N

First attempt here

Ok I'm ripping my entire layout apart for a THIRD time (that's the charm, right?) to go with flex track with a 40 inch radius, figured I'd snap a few pics of my rolling stock so far before I did so. These are my first ever photos of my railroad, but please DON'T be kind. I can take criticism...
  12. N

Nope, still not giving up.

I rushed into this hobby, I'll admit that. I nailed some track to a piece of plywood and used some e-bay junk lot santa fe engines to pull some junk rolling stock. It didn't work very well. But I had to see a train go in a circle, isn't that always the first goal? I bought some split cork...
  13. N

Powerlines

I want to run powerlines to get power to various points in my railroad. Is there any special gauge of wire required for this? One thing I have an abundance of is category 5 ethernet cable. It's pretty thin, I don't know what gauge this amounts to, but will this be good enough to use if i...
  14. N

Question about Repainting from scratch

I'm new to this, and I'm not sure if what I'm going after here is workable, thought maybe somebody could give me some input. Is it at all possible to repaint existing locomotives and rolling stock (mainly run of the mill santa fe stuff) to your own or does this generally end badly? Here's a...
  15. N

I wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Hey there. My name's Luke. I'm 26 and just moved into a house with an attic big enough to get into (read that as: the wife will allow me to) model railroading. I had a few sets as a kid but never had the space until now, though I've been a fan of the railroads pretty much all of my life...

Back