Search results

1. T

HO track overcurrent problem.

I need your help identifying the cause of overcurrent of my ho train track. It occurs with any engine I run on the track. I use a power pack with an ammeter and voltmeter included. The track bus is 14 ga awg stranded wire with 20 ga awg droppers every 6 ft of track for a total of 20 ft. As I run...
  2. T

Turnout position indication

I want to add turnout position indication using leds to my layout. I'm using Atlas turnouts with switch machines attached. My thought is to add a green led for thru position and red for divert. When I throw the momentary toggle switch for the turnout to THRU, the green led will light. When I...
  3. T

LED bleed through

I'm attempting to build a flip flop circuit to indicate position of remote turnout switch to siding. This circuit works great except the 3 volt leds I'm using bleed through when not powered. I'm not sure how to stop the bleeding.
  4. T

Wiring block sections

I have layed my track and separated by blocks. Now it's time to wire each block. I'm running HO scale and the longest block is 12 ft with no interruptions. Most are 3 to 6 ft long with a switch on one end. I'm planning to use 18ga stranded wire for the long block for the 12 ft block, then using...
  5. T

Suggestions for dividing layout into blocks

My new layout is 12' x 8'. in HO scale. I have two outer loops with switches to change between. I am wiring for DC control. I'm not sure if I should break the two continuous outer loops into blocks or keep as one each loop. the layout consists of a yard area with a car repair and engine house...
  6. T

Swaying engine

My engine on my HO railroad sways from side to side when running. I checked the track and it is secured to the bed. Bed is glued to table top. Any ideas what may cause this?
  7. T

New Basement HO Layout

I have designed my track layout using SCARM software. I built the bench work for double continuous run loops, with cross overs. The highlighted track designates raised bed at a 3% grade. The main turnouts are no. 6 and the switching ones are no .4. The minimum radius curves are 22". I do have...
  8. T

New Layout Critique

Here is my first attempt at designing an HO layout. The overall dimensions are 11 ft long x 5 ft wide with a 1 ft x 2 ft spur. The layout was created using SCARM software. Any suggestions or changes will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  9. T

Download a SCARM plan to thread

How do I download my plan created using SCARM software onto this thread? I would like to have it critiqued since this is my first attempt at designing a layout.
  10. T

New benchtop material

I'm planning to build benchwork for a new HO layout. I'm planning to use 1/2" plywood on a 1x4 frame on 16" centers. I've read several articles where some suggest using 1/2" homasote and some recommend using foam board. I have been told that track must be glued down making later modifications...

Back