Search results

1. sphinx

post your model RR tips........

I take used dryer fabric softener sheets dipped in wet plaster to make mountains, hills and any other sub-surface elements. Its cheaper than plaster cloth and because the dryer sheet fabric is non-woven, its easier to cover with less paint and/or ground cover. Two layers of dryer sheets will...
  2. sphinx

Getting back into it...need some assistance please

Kurgt2020, a little more information on the drawing. There are 4 sections, each 4 feet wide. This was to facilitate assembly and if I ever have to move again at least there are manageable sections (I have destroyed 2 previous layouts because of moving). I have this pushed up to a wall on the...
  3. sphinx

Tony, no offence taken - clarifications and corrections are always welcome - sometimes my fingers and my brain don't sync-up and sometimes my brain just spews rubbish.
  4. sphinx

My WiFi Enabled HO train

I'm so out of date (still uses DC, although PWM with variable duty cycle). Kind of like the eggnog, I've been on the shelf too long. Anyone for a rubber band powered wind-up loco? My mother showed me how to make a "tractor" out of a wooden spool, rubber band, crayon and match stick. Now...
  5. sphinx

Hello from Central Alabama

Cjcrescent, this was too funny. I loaded an avatar of the Southern Serves the South drum head just like yours before I read your post. I didn't want to be a copy cat so I changed mine to my private railroad herald! My layout is a fictitious short line Cedar Cove RailRoad in the Appalachian...
  6. sphinx

HO Gauge or N Gauge? What do you have, and why?

I have compromise on running full length passenger cars in HO. So my passenger train is a steam loco (Varney 1950's vintage) excursion pulling old timer 50 footers. I tried to cut down a modern (1960's) 83 foot coach to make it look right on tight radius. But with wide axle passenger trucks...
  7. sphinx

Here is a rather crude pic of my 16x5 double dog bone drawing. It could be modified to fit a 10x4. The outer loop is elevated about 6" in the back to give some depth. The small red oval is some n scale track for the mine cars. The HO radius are mostly 18" so Atlas sectional track could be...
  8. sphinx

Wombat457, Sorry if my generalization was too general. I'm 6 feet tall but don't like to lean over any existing structures to work on, modify or fix anything behind it. Maybe I'm just too clumsy! kurtg2020 will have his son working with him in the days to come, and his reach will be rather...
  9. sphinx

My WiFi Enabled HO train

Very cool. So, like each loco will have its own IP address. With a miniature web cam you could actually put a cab view right in a browser window for a really neat control prospective. I applaud your work.
  10. sphinx

I tried the 4x8 several years ago. You can stuff a lot of track using 18" curves on a 4x8. One problem is that you need access all the way around a 4x8 to be able to reach all areas of the layout. About 30" is the max comfortable reach for an adult. I would suggest a 96"x40" with the center 2...
  11. sphinx

Plaster cloth texture

Here's my method I used the plaster cloth over crumpled news print on a small layout in the early nineties. It was fairly easy to work with. Like it has been said before, it takes more than one layer to get any strength. To cover the holes, I mixed some pearlite (butchered that spelling)...
  12. sphinx

HO Gauge or N Gauge? What do you have, and why?

Energy , pure energy. That's just to funny. Anyway, I model HO, but have some "N" track for my mine line. So, I guess I do both worlds. I even thought about putting in a short point-to-point HOn30 trolley line from my yet to be built town across the river and back. I selected HO when I...
  13. sphinx

Hello from Central Alabama

I been modeling railroads off and on for about 25 years in HO, N and a little G. My current layout is HO standard gauge 5x16 double dog bone. I been working on it for about 8 years taking several long breaks due to family and work responsibilities. It's all old school transistor throttle DC...

Back