Search results

1. 3 Fingered Jack

same customer 2 plants opposite sides of town, sharing loads

If we are talking about partially unloading a car at an industry and then having the railroad pick up the car and move it to another industry where the remainder of the cargo is unloaded, it is called "Breaking Bulk". "Breaking Bulk" isn't something that the railroads ever liked to do. It the...
  2. 3 Fingered Jack

3D big boy

This is a process that is being used more by model railroaders. If a modeler is willing to take the time to learn the 3D modeling software they can make almost anything. You do not have to have the 3D printer. They is a company, Shapeways, that will print the model for a fee. One advantage of...
  3. 3 Fingered Jack

How long have you been at this?

American Flyer S scale W/ 0-6-0 Dockside: 1962 HO, started with Varney Freight Train set with SP A-B-A F7: 1968 N scale: 1995. Depending on how you look at it that would make it 52 years.
  4. 3 Fingered Jack

How much curve is desirable in a dog bone layout?

It depends... Real Railroads only had curves when they had to, of course. Curves could be required because of terrain as a example. If your trains run through Iowa flat lands then there would be few curves. If you are in the Rocky Mountains there would be more curves. Basically the right of way...
  5. 3 Fingered Jack

Some new buildings- Using a silhouette cameo

Thanks I am going to probably try this. I have a older version of AutoCAD and a lot of experience with that software.
  6. 3 Fingered Jack

Hello from the Pacific Northwest U.S.

Thanks Everyone. The first building is a RSLaser kit. The other two are scratch built. The tipple is a compressed version of one found in Colorado, The other is the Doris California "Opera" house and a attached business. These are N scale. If I ever get to start another layout it will probably...
  7. 3 Fingered Jack

Some new buildings- Using a silhouette cameo

I am not sure I get it. .. Would I require upgraded software from the company that makes the device in order to use a dxf file from AutoCAD? I did not see anything on the web site. I see lots of use for this device if it will cut 015 styrene.
  8. 3 Fingered Jack

Look Back at Past layout

its in a friend of mines garage.
  9. 3 Fingered Jack

Support the Forum!

Guys the statement I made about selling my copy of "303 Tips..." was made tongue in cheek... I would not part with that valuable book for a million... opps there I go again.
  10. 3 Fingered Jack

Look Back at Past layout

This was a earlier layout I did about six years ago.. set in eastern Oregon.
  11. 3 Fingered Jack

Support the Forum!

A internet search shows this as out of stock everywhere I could find. .. but the original price was under $20. Another book offered: 303 Tips for Detailing Model Railroad Scenery and Structures (Model Railroader) for 84$ I will let my copy go for 60$... I am sitting on a fortune in old MRR...
  12. 3 Fingered Jack

Ever had this happen to you at a restaurant?

I have heard of that happening at fast food drive through.. The person ahead pays for the next car... sometimes the next car will pay for the next and so on. It is a good way to give the young person working at the drive through an experience they will not forget.
  13. 3 Fingered Jack

St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway (SLIMS) St. Louis to Piedmont Route

Sorry about the jargon. When I did the post I could not remember how to spell "Maintenance"... it was late. RSLaser also has several wood structure kits that would work well for a layout set before 1900.
  14. 3 Fingered Jack

New to N Scale

hello Billy I am new here also but have been doing N scale for a while. In my humble opinion DCC is the way to go in N scale if you are just starting out. There is some expense up front but in the long run you save time and aggravation with wiring. DCC also makes using multiple locomotives in a...
  15. 3 Fingered Jack

St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway (SLIMS) St. Louis to Piedmont Route

Truss rod freight cars RSLaser has wood truss rod freight car kits in N scale. They have stock cars, flats, gondolas, wood tank car and a MOW caboose. They would fit your era.
  16. 3 Fingered Jack

Hello from the Pacific Northwest U.S.

This is my first post. I have been doing scale Model Railroading about 30 years. I have been working in N scale about 20 years. I hope to start a new layout in a couple of months. For now my activities are limited to assembling structures both scratch builds and from kits.

Back