Search results

1. V

Code 80 Flex Track

the local train store i go to has at least 50-60 pieces of code 80 flex. its the train depot in chantilly, Va
  2. V

new guy and overwhelmed here.

thanks guys! i was thinking too deep there. simple small nails. 79 cents at lowe's and $5.79 when bought as "temporary track fastening devices" at hobby shops! tonight i will attempt to start running my buss control wiring underneath now that i know generally where it will be. i am going...
  3. V

i have my 3/4 inch foam sheeting down and i laid out the track to get ready for the test runs. how do you temporarily attach the track to the foam? i have flat old school type thumb tacks but the heads are too wide to use. and at my crossover i am going to wire the corresponding switches...
  4. V

the book came in the mail last friday.
  5. V

point taken about the crossover. i will move it to the right a section or so. as for the reach. i am 6'4" and to even compensate more i put my layout on casters. so i can move it out from the wall when needed. i will put the anti-rollers under the casters when i need it to be absolutely stationary.
  6. V

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

just getting back into the hobby so i spent a lot of time on the 'net looking around. I bought all my track from billstrainsandtrack.com. I had some questions and called him direct. he spent about 15 to 20 minutes on the phone helping me get all the things i needed, not the things he would have...
  7. V

Code 80 Flex Track

i am new again aswell. it seems atlas has a major issue with production in china. they changed factories or suppliers and cannot get production up to speed. i am a gun enthusiast as well. so i cannot find ammo or code 80 flex track at a reasonable price. i need a different hobby i guess.
  8. V

trinity thanks for the info. so it is chopped ac current that is rectified on board the train. cool! and yes i will not be using DCC, my layout is small and it would be overkill. WS makes grades from 1 to 4 i guess i will buy a 4% and a 1% . i will mock it up with the 4% and try it. i do not...
  9. V

okay here is a better scan. i can do a 2% up to an inch in 50 inches. i guess i can make that work. thanks for setting me straight on that. now i have a couple old diesel locomotives from my previous attempt at this. i have been reading about DCC. now do i have this right...with dcc the...
  10. V

boy that didn't turn out right at all.
  11. V

okay ...don't laugh but i was able to paste together my track layout from the free version of anytrack i hope this makes a bit more sense
  12. V

okay with the anytrack program i am able to turn the inner loop from 9.8" to 11.1" by using a smaller 2.5 inch segment at the apex of the radius instead of the 5 inch with 9.8 inch.
  13. V

well that puts a damper on things. i wanted a small grade of at least 2 inches but i do not have 100 inches to run up to it. is a 4% grade bad because of the strength of the engine or what else? why do they make a 4% if it is not feasible?
  14. V

how much distance do i need to get up 2 inches using a 2% grade? and wider radii gives much better performance, how? with the width of my layout my inner loop cannot be any larger than the 9.8" radius. i figured i cannot run long rolling stock on the inner loop.
  15. V

hello all, i just joined on here yesterday and was looking for some basic things to sotre away in the ol' memory for future use. i am new to trains basically. i tried an n scale lay out many years ago and it was an utter failure. i trashed the board,track and wiring. sold the locomotives and...
  16. V

Yet Another New Guy Here

thank you for the greeting. well i was able to find 5 pieces of flex today. gotta pick it up thursday morning. i needed 8 for my layout so i guess i am 90" short. so i am left to order a box of bulk 5' i guess. also gonna pick up my lumber when i can borrow the neighbors pick up truck...
  17. V

Yet Another New Guy Here

hello all, i am yet another nameless faceless new guy. i had a small n scale set up about 15 years ago that was a disaster. i dumped everything and gave up. well i am much older now,(52), and have the internet for info and help. i have purchased most of my track and am getting back all my...

Back