Search results

1. C

Start small or a bit bigger?

Thanks, Mike! I was thinking of at least getting a DCS100, if not a DCS240. I'm also considering the new TCS system when it comes out (DCC, LCC, Raillink, etc.) later this year. I'll check out AnyRail. Thanks! Brandon
  2. C

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm thinking about getting some CAD software to begin planning this out the best I can. Then I can use layers to represent different steps to completing everything. Brandon
  3. C

Thanks, Bob! flyboy, I would, but I cannot. They were given to me from my father-in-law, and I'm still planning on using some of it, it will just have to be a bit later in life. :) I am selling some of my locomotives that I bought to use at the last club I belonged to. They shut down and...
  4. C

Thanks, Greg! Great idea on asking Digitrax (or maybe even Tonys or someone else well versed in DCC) about this and how to make it work. I think it's because there's a cross over just above Champion Gravel Co. That means the reverse loops would have to interact, I'd think. I could also...
  5. C

I apologize for the delayed reply, gentlemen. I greatly appreciate your input! I'm currently thinking I'd like to build the big one and do it in smaller steps, as everyone has mentioned. Roughly, I want to build the three modules (not TOO worried about benchwork... I have the tools and the...
  6. C

Question for you guys, especially those experienced in building layouts. I found the perfect track layout for my goals running a layout. However, I've not built a layout before and this one isn't a basement empire, but it is pretty large for someone who hasn't built one before and it also would...
  7. C

Bachrus Roller Stand for Big Boy?

It's funny you ask... I ordered mine today from TrainTekLLC.com, I think it was. I believe it was about $79 for a set of rollers and a thing to put the tender of steers on. I can't remember what they call it. I grabbed their DCC Speedometer to go with them, too. Brandon
  8. C

Repower Athearn Blue Box with Kato HM-5?

Thanks for the input! I was thinking I had heard of some fly wheels that would fit on the Kato but allow you to connect the Athearn drive shaft... gonna have to do some more googling when I get some time, unless someone here knows what that is. :) Brandon
  9. C

Repower Athearn Blue Box with Kato HM-5?

Hi all, Has anyone used a Kato HM-5 to repower Athearn Blue Box locos? I've got a set of 4 F7s from the late 80s, early 90s that I'd like to completely revamp and repower, but it bothers me that the repower kits are $60 each, especially since there are 4 of these and quite a few other blue...
  10. C

DIY 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? And other DCC future-proofing questions... :)

Hi all, Anyone ever DIY an 8 pin to 9 pin adapter? I'm thinking about cutting the traces on an 8 pin DC plug and soldering a 9 pin onto it. I will not be paying $8 for one from Soundtraxx, but I also don't want to solder the decoder in. Or maybe I should just solder in a new 9 pin connector...
  11. C

For those of you who transport trains, what do you transport them in?

Thanks for the reply! You bring up a good point. I am still leaning toward waiting to see if I need one and then ordering one if I do, but I may bite the bullet and grab one on the first order. We'll see. :) Brandon
  12. C

Ahhh... Gotcha! Just using one or two at a time is what I'm planning on doing, also. Did you get the foam strips that go between the trains? Brandon Brandon
  13. C

Thanks for the reply, Alan. I really appreciate your input! That is great to know on the capacity. I was also thinking about having each box be a train ready to roll and in order. Although these aren't cheap, they are certainly cheaper and hold more than the other solutions I've seen. The...
  14. C

Ha! I see now. Cars, not trains. :) My bad. Brandon
  15. C

Not quite sure what design you're thinking I'm using, but it wouldn't be anywhere near 200lbs. 3/8" and 1/4" ply would work fine and would certainly be heavier than cardboard, but not 200lbs or even close. I'd say maybe 30 to 40 lbs loaded up with cars and locos. :) Brandon
  16. C

Thanks, guys! I am a bit surprised by some of the $25 price tags on what is a basic box and $2 worth of foam... lol... Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I did find these guys: http://www.springmillsdepot.com/boxes.htm $10 per box, plus $2 for 5 foam dividers. Definitely worth a shot, I think...
  17. C

Hi all, I am going to have to start efficiently and safely transporting my trains to and from the club. I'm thinking about building something that could hold up to 18 passenger trains or locos of any size (including my Big Boys and DDA40X), but I wanted to check with everyone first... what do...
  18. C

Anyone know which batteries work best in Digitrax DT402D throttles?

Ok, awesome... Just wanted to make sure. :) Brandon
  19. C

Anyone know which batteries work best in Digitrax DT402D throttles?

Awesome! Thank you for the update, Mike. Which throttle are you using? Brandon

Back