Search results

1. O

Safety First

Cool seeing railroading as it was a 100 years ago here. Never thought about the cables keeping the disconnect log cars together. And the use of link and pin couplers - wow.
  2. O

Shinohara HOn3 Code70 Dual Gauge turnouts

I've got some - 10 11/16"
  3. O

Long, Narrow Layouts, perhaps in old Mobile Home Trailers

Try this one http://www.magnoliaroute.com/
  4. O

Alternate uses for shays & heislers than logging

A quarry operation maybe a good bet. Phenix Quarry in southern Missouri used as Shay to get the blocks of marble out of the quarry to the cutting/finishing operation. Since your space is limited, this may not work, but the Kansas City Southern used a Shay (Lima shop build 2570) to access rail...
  5. O

mth explains lol

Did anyone else notice the statement that they " . . . allow the locomotive to run at scale (1/86) speed." So their HO scale products are to a 1/86 scale???
  6. O

Walthers Grain Elevator...WTH?

Can't speak directly to the Walthers version, but most of the older grain elevators that I have been in had no personnel elevator, only a belt man lift. Some had no interior stairs past a certain point. Doors to nowhere, we guarded from the inside, so no one was falling out. Above the door...
  7. O

Right of Way - Sign Posts - Question

Sounds more like intermediate mile post striping.
  8. O

Another WTH Ebay Moment

Look at how it is shipped - "Shipping within the USA: $3.95 for the first train, & $1.00 per each additional train - in a padded, manila envelope at buyer's risk." Padded envelope???? Buyers risk???
  9. O

Easing into DCC?

Hmm, I'm going through the same dilemma. Except, I already have several older DC power packs and plan on using them with my older engines so I can test my trackwork as it goes in. Yes, I will run large bus wires, use DCC-friendly turnouts, etc. The only reversing loop issues will be with the...
  10. O

Mail-order Ethics

When I lived in "the big city", I always bought local. Most gave some sort of discount and since I had the privilege of holding whatever I wanted to buy in my hands, that trumped the dollar or five that I would have saved via mail order. One shop, would get to know their regular customers and...
  11. O

It's not how many Trains you have, it's how much you enjoy them that counts!

Obviously, you are being facetious. (I hope) On the portion of the Frisco that I am modeling, a 12 to 14 car train is long! Passenger service is handled by an E-8 and 2 cars, maybe three on a good day. Having a fiddle yard at each end, small yard in the middle, and 30 to50 industry spots, a...
  12. O

question on hand laid turnouts

That and you can download/print free turnout templates from Fast Tracks. Central Valley Model Works also has turnout kits and switch ties for DIYers.
  13. O

It's not how many Trains you have, it's how much you enjoy them that counts!

When I first got started in the hobby, I was a freelancer with sights on a layout featuring both standard and narrow gauge trackage. So I bought what I liked or thought that I could use, especially since I rarely paid MSRP. When we moved and downsized, I decided to protolance something more...
  14. O

Inventory

Nightmare - most definitely unless ya got a ton of spare time and are a touch typist. Searching - not a problem. At least in Excel (no bells and whistles but it works for me), between the sort and filter function I can quickly determine what I got. I can print it out in a similar manner...
  15. O

Convert Athearn F unit to DCC

If I may ask, since I am late to the party - you stated that you have a powered unit and a dummy unit. Why didn't you put the decoder in the dummy and use a mini-plug to run the wires across the drawbar to the powered unit? Much like some steamers where the decoder is in the tender.
  16. O

Inventory

Nope - been married for 46 years this year! Being in the hobby for close to 30 years, one can slowly accumulate a ton of stuff. I had no idea what exactly I had until I had to pack it all up. I used to go to a ton of area meets and other conventions where I would get a little here and a...
  17. O

BNSF, UP train wreck in MO

I heard from a guy who lives in the area, and this wasn't the first time this has happened. There have been 3 of these T-boning incidents in the last 4 months. And oh, two of the people hurt were to have been bridesmaids at his son's wedding that day.
  18. O

Please help: How much could this train collection be worth?

A lot of good advice has already been given. However, don't overlook what might be of value in any tools, paper (other than newer magazines), photos that he might have taken, etc. You do need help from a local club, NMRA division, etc. Get several opinions from different groups.
  19. O

Lousy Ebay vehicle castings

I hear ya. I bought some propane tanks form the same guy, but the listing photos for them clearly showed how crude they were, so I was prepared for the worst. And he didn't disappoint. So why did I order from him? Because only he had what I needed. And a little body filler, and I am good...
  20. O

Inventory

I use Excel as well. Although mine was set up to list everything for eventual sale and I needed a cost and value headings as well as Mfr, Catalog #, car type, Description, Road Name, Number, etc. I used separate tabs fro each category, such as Locos, freight cars, way cars, MOW, Passenger...

Back