Search results

1. M

Book suggestions

I will soon begin construction on my ho layout and was woundering if there is a good book explaining the wiring of DCC and other general electrical systems. This is my first layout so it's new to me, and I want to do it right. Thanks
  2. M

switch power

If you were to install powered/remote turnouts on your layout, would they be on the same power feed as the trains? Probably a dumb question.
  3. M

coupler upgrades

I recently bought my first trains.These ar the couplers that camewith everything. I would eventualy like to upgrade to the system where a magnet is under the table. How much will this cost? what kind should I get? Where do I get them? any suggetions would be appreciated.
  4. M

ho layout plan/ construction

I will soon begin consruction on my first layout. The scale will be ho. As far as era, I was thinking early 1950's, in the appalations. This is my plan. Sorry if It didn't come through, I'm new at this. The longest car I'll be running will probably be a 85' passenger car. Other than that single...
  5. M

Y turnouts

If there is a #3 Y turnout, would it actualy only have the turn of a #6 standard turnout?
  6. M

profile updates

How do you add pictures to your profile?
  7. M

Ahm

I am looking at few engines for sale and wanted to know the quality of an AHM RS2 and a 4-6-2. Each is $20. Is that a good deal?
  8. M

Tyco quality?

I am looking to buy some used trains and want to know the quality of tyco rolling stock. Any suggestions? Any information would be nice.
  9. M

n vs. ho

I am looking to start a model railroad. I have limited space. (4'x8') Which scale do you think would best suit an area of this size? Which is a better deal?
  10. M

Gramp's old RR magazines

We have the following magazines available: Live Steam: from the 80's, 90's, 2000s etc. Model Railroader: from the 1940's forward to present. Narrow Gauge Gazette: from the 80's, 90's, 2000's and present. My grandfather had quite a collection and we need to decide what to do with these. We...
  11. M

walthers/shinohara complex switches

I am planning a layout and want to know- which would be cheaper, a walthers/shinohara code 83 #6 double slip, or 3 or 4 switches and a crossing. Also, what quality is peco and walthers compared to atlas? Thanks!
  12. M

miwing track types

I am getting a trian set and it comes with a loop or brass trackor life like snap track. I plan on upgrading it with atlas code 83 (nickel silver) I have a few questions. #Is it ok to mix brass track and nickel silver? #What is the rail hight? (code) #What metal is the snap track made...
  13. M

Switches

I was looking at switches, and I want to know what the numbers mean. I'm pretty sure that they have something to do with the curve raidus, but what switch number = what radius.
  14. M

DCC, DC, etc.

What is the difference betweeen DCC, DC, and the others layouts. I think it has something to do with the type of power / current/ voltage. Am I right? Which is better? Thanks. P.S. Why is everyone copying my Question mark thing?!?!?!
  15. M

code = what metal?

Thanks for anwsering my code questions, but that created another question...... What is code 83 rails made of? What is code 100 rails made of?
  16. M

code 83, 100, and true track

I was looking at some atlas track and was wondering, what's the difference between code 83 with brown ties, code 100 with black, and code 83 true-track. Which is better? I know nickel-silver is the best. What code is made of what material?
  17. M

snap track vs. brass track

I got a reply from my first offer and he has life-like snap track. I was told this is low quality, but he said that he could swap it for brass track. Would this be a good idea?
  18. M

begining a layout.

I am 12 and looking to start an ho layout of my own. I had no idea where to start, so I looked at craigslist and found some models that I think would be OK. First i found 2 athearn pa-1's (One powered and one dummy) and a Bachman 4-8-4 j class steam engine. This came with 20 boxcars and a large...

Back