Search results

1. W

My "retro" HO-scale layout!

More new/updated pics of my layout... I'm also getting a Proto-1000 Santa Fe F3A locomotive and a Tyco Santa Fe diesel switcher locomotive as well, and I also plan to get a Tyco freight unloading depot, one of their GP-20 locomotives (maybe the Chattanooga model) and...
  2. W

Been a while, but here's some new pics! The layout is set up so the outer loop is Block "A" and that inner siding near the supply house and truck terminal is Block "B." This way it is wired for two-train operation (one train at a time, as demonstrated in the Tyco Layout Expander System...
  3. W

Running in trains/Breaking them in

For breaking in locomotives, before I put them on my layout, I set up a 45x36" oval of Power-Loc track in my room and run just the locomotive on the track at medium speed in forward for ten minutes, then medium speed backwards for ten minutes.
  4. W

From my city's downtown hobby shop. It's made by Woodland Scenics.
  5. W

Well, I modified the track plan and added another switch to connect one of the spurs! I also decided to experiment with ballasting on the "permanent" sections of track on my layout. Here's another decent use for ballast that will eventually be used on tracks...
  6. W

MBTA -not finished-

Believe it or not, I've got an HO-scale MBTA F40PH from LIFE-LIKE! I do also have an MBTA horizon coach car and cab car from Walthers, and they work fine. I mean, sure they don't look like MBTA's REAL current F40PHs... (This is what most of the real MBTA commuter trains I see in my area...
  7. W

Been a while since I showed off here. Here is a more recent overview of the layout: New platform for my controls and tools, and any additional switches I may install. Note who is watching the action... ("Naw, that's too small for you," Pokey is saying.) Billboard mounted on a...
  8. W

Coupler types

It takes a bit of practice, but knuckle couplers CAN connect to horn-hook couplers. But I'd still recommend the knuckle couplers in most cases. I already upgraded maybe half of my Life-Like locomotives and rolling stock to knuckle couplers.
  9. W

My HO Train Town layout.

That's really nice! I love the KFC and the Cape Cod house. If I can find flat shingles like those, I may go for those for my road; if not, I'll go for gray illustration board or the Walthers Cornerstone streets. You will find similar classic model train stuff here, except the layout mostly...
  10. W

Those are for when I put a tarp over the layout when it's not going to be used for a while. I also recently re-did the track plan, because I found the Tyco Layout Expander set plan a bit dull after a while. I am working on doing THIS, which is also open for expansion: Here is my latest...
  11. W

My HO Train Town layout.

Nice retro layout! Is the ATSF freight train in the foreground from Life-Like? (their Rail Runner train set) Good to see another user with Life-Like locos and rolling stock on their layout here, though I'm in the progress of upgrading mine to knuckle couplers. I also mostly use Atlas True-Track...
  12. W

I got a bit more True-Track for my layout, and i also bought another pair of terminal joiners and some plastic insulator joiners from the local hobby shop for when I prepare the two-train configuration and get an Atlas Selector for blocking, along with some "earth" ground cover material. Here's...
  13. W

Same, except I was twelve, and the box looked like this: Lots of fun, except the included power pack didn't work. No matter; I just hooked up a spare remote/receiver power pack from Life-Like's "Supertrain" radio-control train set and it did the job just fine :D
  14. W

Current overviews of my layout: Still waiting for my extra 9-inch True-Track sections to arrive so I can replace that Code-100 section. I'm also planning on putting down a road for the vehicles. The residential area and near the supply house I might use "earth" ground cover glued to...
  15. W

Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

A while back I replaced the horn-hooks on a couple of my GP38-2 hi-nose locomotives: I also half-upgraded my ATSF GP38-2 lo-nose dummy locomotive so one end has a knuckle coupler, and the other a horn-hook. I had a couple of really old Walthers Trainline locomotives that really needed...
  16. W

Tyco crossing signal help

OK, I got the new bulbs, but I did a bit of experimenting as well, by cutting one of the original bulbs loose from the signal and testing it on a 9-volt battery, and it actually lit up! So that means it's not the bulbs that were the problem; it has to be a connection issue. The crossing bell...
  17. W

More updates... I'm still waiting to get a few more 9" straight Code-83/True Track sections, but until I do I just have a Code-100 snap track section in place, and am using that as a temporary siding. Freight cars parked at the stock pen. The siding also has a delivery platform...
  18. W

Are Life-Like's current train sets the spiritual successor of Tyco's?

I've got a KFC kit on my layout! It always grabs attention from people checking out my trainss :D
  19. W

Update time! I'm installing some more track on the layout. Currently I have the track plan from the Tyco Track Layout Expander in mind. Today I got some more straight 9" sections and 18" curves, and the rerailers and 3" straights should come in tomorrow. I also have "temporary track" (old...
  20. W

I have mentioned that I am both a (currently) budgeted model railroader, and that I also enjoy classic HO-scale train stuff (especially from Life-Like, Atlas, Tyco and Bachmann.) So I thought that for my basement model train layout I can use a lot of that stuff, yet still continuously update it...

Back