Search results

1. wizz-bang

Wanted: Walthers Shinohara HO Turnout

It's well over five years old; but as I said, it has never been installed and it is in absolutely brand new condition. As to price, I would need to replace this with a Peco Electrofrog #5, and the best price I see online is $25.19 at Yankee Dabbler. I would suggest shipping USPS Priority: a...
  2. wizz-bang

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Well, I may have gotten myself wrapped around the axle when I did this project. As I said, I chose Atlas because it flexes more easily. What it does NOT do, however, is hold its shape once you've gotten the curve you desire - it just springs back to straight. In retrospect, based on your comment...
  3. wizz-bang

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Great tips - thanks. If I were to solder that joint (which I won;t based on your advice) I'd slide the rails away from the joint, cutting at both ends. I nearly went with sectional track, but I wanted to create a transition curve at either end. Looking back, I could have used about 120 degrees...
  4. wizz-bang

Minimum HO Curve Radius

Hal, I have just a few comments. (1) just finished installing two, one-eighty-degree 18" radius curves on my layout, and one of them has a significant issue at the join between two pieces of flex track. It's REALLY hard to get a good smooth curve through a flex track join, and especially hard...
  5. wizz-bang

No idea what the model number is. This was sold under the Walthers brand, but you should be able to make out the word SHINOHARA in the second photo.
  6. wizz-bang

I have four LH and one RH #4 turnouts by Shinohara. These have insulated frogs. They are no longer in their original boxes, but they have never been installed. I have switched to Electrofrog and likely will never use these. Let me know if you want me to post photos.
  7. wizz-bang

Tortoise Machine Switches

I'm not sure I get your point, Greg. The upshot is this: Ken is experiencing a momentary short during turnout movement with just a few of his many Tortoise installations, all of which route power to the frogs using the auxiliary contacts. Since the short is momentary, it MUST be caused by...
  8. wizz-bang

On to Track Laying

I don't know if you've decided on your roadbed material or not, but in case you're not aware, Homasote is once again an option. The supplier is cwhomaroad.com and he has a pretty complete line of roadbed products. If you have previously used roadbed from Cascade Rail Supply, he can use their...
  9. wizz-bang

Let's be clear: I don't WANT you to do anything at all. It's not my problem; it's your problem. I'm interested in the outcome because it's an interesting problem. I've suggested to you what I would do if I were in your situation.
  10. wizz-bang

Ken, I've never had a Tortoise misbehave as you are describing, and frankly, I'm shocked that you (might) have "a few" of them (not sure if that's three, or five, or what). Until I read your original post, I would have said that Tortoises are utterly reliable. As I said earlier, I only use the...
  11. wizz-bang

If it's always the same few turnouts causing the shorts, I still think your best best is an internal short in the Tortoise. You can confirm my diagnosis in either of two ways: ONE: Swap the Tortoise from a malfunctioning turnout with the Tortoise from a trouble-free turnout. If I'm right, the...
  12. wizz-bang

I understand that when you operate the problematic turnouts, the DCC system shuts down for less than one second, just as it would if there were a short across the rails. Then it properly powers back up, presumably because the short has corrected itself. Obviously, something is causing a...
  13. wizz-bang

Also, don't forget a 12V light bulb will consume enough voltage that the DCC signal disappears... You might lose power to frog anyway (although it might keep the rest of the layout running.)
  14. wizz-bang

Yeah, the fact that the short lasts just a fraction of a second makes me think the issue is not with the edge connector, but internal to the Tortoise. I have panel indicator lights wired to the Tortoise contacts, and one light ALWAYS goes out a fraction of a second before the other light goes...
  15. wizz-bang

Based on how you framed your question, I suspect your problem is not in the turnout, but in the internals of the Tortoise. I assume you have this problem on just a few turnouts (you said "not all of them do it"). I assume further that it is always the same turnouts that cause the problem. I can...

Back