Back to the hobby

Hi all. Resurrecting my interest in the hobby, and changing from a lone wolf to NMRA participant. I moved some years back and brought my original 5x11 HO road. I model a freelance short line in upstate NY. I recently got it working again. I’m planning to convert to DCC then expand.

Attachments

• IMG_3838.jpeg
    IMG_3838.jpeg
    831.3 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the welcome, folks. My road has elements of a number of railroads on the south shore of Lake Ontario. It is a quasi-governmental road, owned by two counties and operated by a shortline and a commuter agency. My inspirations are the Finger Lakes and Ontario Midland railroads. It is sited around a bay that takes elements of Irondequoit and Sodus bays. It interchanges with CSX.

I built the original part two houses ago as a standalone, figure eight within a loop. In 1990, I moved it to a new house, then expanded it to a 21x21 L-shaped road. I like operating different types of trains, so I built it to handle local freight, a commuter road, run-through Amtrak, and an intermodal turn from CSX (NYC). I built this addition from scrap wood from the construction of my neighbors houses, so it wasn't built well enough to move. Then four years ago, I moved again, and scrapped all of the addition. Now I can think it out a little better. I would like to be able to run all four train types. Construction will probably be shelf style, with sections that can be relocated eventually.

Before that, I'll convert the existing part to DCC.

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3933.jpeg
    IMG_3933.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the welcome, folks. My road has elements of a number of railroads on the south shore of Lake Ontario. It is a quasi-governmental road, owned by two counties and operated by a shortline and a commuter agency. My inspirations are the Finger Lakes and Ontario Midland railroads. It is sited around a bay that takes elements of Irondequoit and Sodus bays. It interchanges with CSX.

I built the original part two houses ago as a standalone, figure eight within a loop. In 1990, I moved it to a new house, then expanded it to a 21x21 L-shaped road. I like operating different types of trains, so I built it to handle local freight, a commuter road, run-through Amtrak, and an intermodal turn from CSX (NYC). I built this addition from scrap wood from the construction of my neighbors houses, so it wasn't built well enough to move. Then four years ago, I moved again, and scrapped all of the addition. Now I can think it out a little better. I would like to be able to run all four train types. Construction will probably be shelf style, with sections that can be relocated eventually.

Before that, I'll convert the existing part to DCC.
I think we can safely say your original benchwork is definitely of robust construction if you built it two houses ago:D
That's a very nice layout you have, is there a DCC system you prefer, or are you looking ?

I think we can safely say your original benchwork is definitely of robust construction if you built it two houses ago:D
That's a very nice layout you have, is there a DCC system you prefer, or are you looking ?
My area is NCE territory, as it’s made nearby. So as a DCC newbie, I’ll stick with what I can get knowledgeable advice on. I’ll probably go with the PH5 and convert a minimum of locos to start.

Back