Bachman Locomotive Noise Issues

Rail codes refer to the height of the rail, code 83 being the most prototypical in height and tie spacing for model rail.
1711205133364.png

Atlas track if I remember correctly track with black ties are code100 brown ties are code 83.

Since you are from the UK, it might interest you to know I love your steamers. I bought the Mallard and the Royal Train, both Hornby sets. I bought the Flying Scotsman, but it was not well packed and was badly damaged when it got here. Don't know if you are a Royalist, but sad to hear about the King and Princess. I am praying for them, even though I am a Yank.

I am a Royalist, and although I'm not impressed with our current monarch, I think William will be more like his Grandmother and be a more popular monarch with the "common" people, his brother Harry just seems to making an idiot of himself as he stood down from his royal duties due to the amount of negative press his wife received (I have no opinion for or against his wife) and wanted a quiet life away from the press but seems to be doing all he can stay in the headlines, making him a hypocrite, although from what we are hearing here, the US is less than enamoured with his theatrics.

Flying Scotsman and Mallard are two of my favourite LNER steamers as I was lucky enough to work on both in my (much) younger days, I qualified as a Fireman on Mallard.

I hope that you returned Scotsman to the vendor if it was damaged, Hornby did have serious problems with the packaging on several locos mainly because they were packed by a third party in a warehouse in the south of England, probably the worst was their 4-6-4 W1 "Hush Hush" locomotive, by all reports, 65% were received damaged.

Chris.

I would suggest inspecting the gears very carefully with a magnifying glass first looking for missing teeth or cracks. If you find none I would put a dab of Labelle's 206 grease on each gear and run it again. That should quiet it up alot.

Rail codes refer to the height of the rail, code 83 being the most prototypical in height and tie spacing for model rail.
View attachment 184749

Atlas track if I remember correctly track with black ties are code100 brown ties are code 83.

I am a Royalist, and although I'm not impressed with our current monarch, I think William will be more like his Grandmother and be a more popular monarch with the "common" people, his brother Harry just seems to making an idiot of himself as he stood down from his royal duties due to the amount of negative press his wife received (I have no opinion for or against his wife) and wanted a quiet life away from the press but seems to be doing all he can stay in the headlines, making him a hypocrite, although from what we are hearing here, the US is less than enamoured with his theatrics.

Flying Scotsman and Mallard are two of my favourite LNER steamers as I was lucky enough to work on both in my (much) younger days, I qualified as a Fireman on Mallard.

I hope that you returned Scotsman to the vendor if it was damaged, Hornby did have serious problems with the packaging on several locos mainly because they were packed by a third party in a warehouse in the south of England, probably the worst was their 4-6-4 W1 "Hush Hush" locomotive, by all reports, 65% were received damaged.

Chris.
View attachment 184749

Chris.
Yes, I did return the Scotsman. Sad though. How great that you got to work on both of them, must have been a time. I was never a Royalist, mostly because I am a Yank, but after HM died, I became obsessed with her. I watched every doco I could find about her and even watched The Crown on Nexflix. Mostly I was interested in her younger days, how someone so young could take on such an enormous responsibility. Of course, The Crown is mostly made-up trash written by people who HATE the Royal Family, expecially King Charles. There were some extremely interesting scenes in the first 2 seasons. I felt bad for HM because after Edward VIII abdicated, Elizabeth's life was no longer her own. I feel like she was the most written about, most photographed and most lied about woman in modern history, maybe in history in general. I find that most peole who wrote about her, never met her. And it is my understanding that she never granted an interview, so when they say HM thinks this or that, it's only theyr opinion, because HM did not tell them. In many ways I feel sorry for her. Being the Sovereign was no easy task, but I think she did it well and rarely put a foot wrong. I agree about Harry and Meghan, why she complains so much is beyond me. As for the King, I always thought Charles to have no charisma at all, but I think as Elizabeth was misunderstood, I am sure Charles was and is in all. His life was never his own, even when it came to who he married. He is a lot like his uncle. I can tell you this much, aside from the money and opulance, I would want no part of being a Royal.
Cheers,
Michael

A lot of people feel Charles betrayed Diana, why marry one woman when your in love with another, although Diana learnt very quickly the power of the press and how to use it, which she did very effectively, how can you forget the picture of her sitting on her own in front of the Taj Mahal.

My biggest gripe about Charles is that he's made Camilla Queen, heaven knows why, his father remained a Prince for his entire life and he really was Royalty, Camilla is a divorced commoner, I don't see how or why she's better than his father was.

There is a lot of speculation regarding Meghan, everything from wanting the attention of being a Royal and being treated like a princess to somehow boosting her Hollywood career to get bigger roles and box office standing, you know the sort of thing "Featuring HRH Princess Meghan, Duchess of Sussex" along with the sort of money she could demand.

HM Elizabeth worked very hard at her role, Heads of state, Presidents and anyone who was anyone would listen to her "suggestions" in private conversations, she pretty much has kept the British Commonwealth together, even countries that left, have later rejoined and some members that were never part of the British Empire have joined.

HM Elizabeth had a wicked sense of humour, here's a couple of video's to show what I mean.

A lot of people feel Charles betrayed Diana, why marry one woman when your in love with another, although Diana learnt very quickly the power of the press and how to use it, which she did very effectively, how can you forget the picture of her sitting on her own in front of the Taj Mahal.

My biggest gripe about Charles is that he's made Camilla Queen, heaven knows why, his father remained a Prince for his entire life and he really was Royalty, Camilla is a divorced commoner, I don't see how or why she's better than his father was.

There is a lot of speculation regarding Meghan, everything from wanting the attention of being a Royal and being treated like a princess to somehow boosting her Hollywood career to get bigger roles and box office standing, you know the sort of thing "Featuring HRH Princess Meghan, Duchess of Sussex" along with the sort of money she could demand.

HM Elizabeth worked very hard at her role, Heads of state, Presidents and anyone who was anyone would listen to her "suggestions" in private conversations, she pretty much has kept the British Commonwealth together, even countries that left, have later rejoined and some members that were never part of the British Empire have joined.

HM Elizabeth had a wicked sense of humour, here's a couple of video's to show what I mean.

I love the one with Paddington Bear. I can understand how Brits feel ab out the relationship between Charles and Diana and Camilla. I seem to remember that HM did not want Camilla to be called Queen, but Queen consort. Charles nixed that almost as soon as Lilibit died. (I love Lilibet, no disrespect meant.) But as I said, Charles' life was not his own. Really it's hard to say exactly what happened, since we were not there and there are so many liars writing about them. What they did with Diana in The Crown after she had died was disgusting, I thought. Mostly I feel bad for the lot of them. What can I say about Meghan, I think she is beautiful, but she seems to have some kind of chip on her shoulder or an inferiorrity complex. Again, do we really know what is going on? Even if she or Harry say something, does not make it true. Media and publicity are what they seem to crave. Without a hook to reel people in, or make them click, they are not relavent. So say something contraversial or absurd and everyone will talk about you. Remember what Oscar Wilde said, "the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about." (I wonder, is this still a train forum? Somehow we drifted well off course. Oh well, I like talking abut something else now and again.)

I love the one with Paddington Bear. I can understand how Brits feel ab out the relationship between Charles and Diana and Camilla. I seem to remember that HM did not want Camilla to be called Queen, but Queen consort. Charles nixed that almost as soon as Lilibit died. (I love Lilibet, no disrespect meant.) But as I said, Charles' life was not his own. Really it's hard to say exactly what happened, since we were not there and there are so many liars writing about them. What they did with Diana in The Crown after she had died was disgusting, I thought. Mostly I feel bad for the lot of them. What can I say about Meghan, I think she is beautiful, but she seems to have some kind of chip on her shoulder or an inferiorrity complex. Again, do we really know what is going on? Even if she or Harry say something, does not make it true. Media and publicity are what they seem to crave. Without a hook to reel people in, or make them click, they are not relavent. So say something contraversial or absurd and everyone will talk about you. Remember what Oscar Wilde said, "the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about." (I wonder, is this still a train forum? Somehow we drifted well off course. Oh well, I like talking abut something else now and again.)
Yeah we do seem to have gone astray somewhere, we must have missed that last stop signal.

Do you think you can repair the motor on the Bachmann, or do you think a re-motor would be the answer ?

Do you think you can repair the motor on the Bachmann, or do you think a re-motor would be the answer ?
I now have 2 of the same type, one does not run at all. I think I may be able to repair it, but I need to figure out what exactly is making the sound. Something is hitting something else or the gears, which if you have seen the video, are sloppy and may need to be adjusted. But I don't think the com is making the noise. Mind you, I am not an expert, or even a novice, so what do I know. Maybe I will stumble on the solution. It may have to wait because today I bought a carload, and I really mean car (automobile) load of trains, track, parts, accessories, buildings and who knows what else from a chap in Ft. Worth. It is going to take me some time to inventory all of this stuff, then I need to find a home for it. My office is getting filled up.

Back