I did a thing today

thhynes

So I did a thing - I got the Benchwork done for an 8' long x 3' wide N-scale Layout

Decided on using Atlas Code 55 Track, no less than a number 7 switch, no less than a 5 for sidings or yard

Now I need a Plan ...
20240303_184155.jpg

no, I don't ...hahaha
In that case. Are you thinking to keep it all one level or doing some two level things.

I am a big fan of an out and back type layout. Most operational possibilities in a given space. One yard/engine facility that can pretends to be two. Saves space and the whole layout doesn't look like endless yards.

I also like doing things on two levels because it allows one to hide some of the loopyness of a small layout while at the same time utilizing space that is otherwise lost to all the curves.

Here is a minimum size out-and-back in HO scale, for an example
1709845767923.png

Here is an N-scale layout in 2x8 that has a mine on an upper level to utilize space over the mainline curve on the left and staging tracks at the rear. Annotations were comments for some other thread. They can be ignored.
Pine Ridge Annotated.jpg

Last edited:
In that case. Are you thinking to keep it all one level or doing some two level things.

I am a big fan of an out and back type layout. Most operational possibilities in a given space. One yard/engine facility that can pretends to be two. Saves space and the whole layout doesn't look like endless yards.

I also like doing things on two levels because it allows one to hide some of the loopyness of a small layout while at the same time utilizing space that is otherwise lost to all the curves.
So back in 1985-1988, I was working on a 3-foot wide and 5-foot long layout. My friend just found the plans for that layout - its titled Jefferson, Memphis, and Norther RR - Since that would take up about 50% of the space, I am on the hunt for another layout to fit around it or next to it. I would like some elevation but hide the elevation in such a way that it does not look obvious.

The good thing about this project is I am taking my time to look at and review "plans"

Here is a minimum size out-and-back in HO scale, for an example
View attachment 183334

Here is an N-scale layout in 2x8 that has a mine on an upper level to utilize space over the mainline curve on the left and staging tracks at the rear. Annotations were comments for some other thread. They can be ignored.
View attachment 183333
There are some elements in both of these that I am going to consider!

Back