Anybody have a tow truck on their layout?

Old 97

Hogger
My model railroad could use a bruiser like this. :)

Attachments

• 46_chev_tow_lg.jpg
    46_chev_tow_lg.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 31
Hmmm .. not fam with widowmaker wheels?

You might have a look at "Little Wheels" -- It's a model shop in England. I am on their internet list and have bought a few things from them ... excellent shipping and fast!

I cannot recall a specific tow truck like that one, but sometimes a modification will work out nicely.

Widow maker wheels were wheels that locked in the center. You can't see if they are properly locked, you have to do it by feel. If they are not properly locked when you inflate the tire it could explode. A 10:00X20 tire fully inflated could explode with as much as 23 tons of force. Those are smaller than 10:00x20 but can still explode with enough force to decapitate someone unfortunate enough to be standing in the wrong place.

You must of worked on them before tire cages and OSHA? :D
From my experience tire shops get the most scrutiny from OSHA and with good reason. Inspectors have told me the most common violation was removing belt guards from compressors. A fine for being too lazy to reinstall the guard after replacing the belt.

I never saw a wheel explode in person; I've seen it on training videos. I have seen tire cages that contained an exploded wheel, they are disposable.

Kind of expensive, but Artitec's ready made 1/87 scale Model T tow truck would be a sweet addition to a steam era layout. Maybe use it to tow one of their ready made Model A's.

1708108954895.png

1708109153017.png

Back