Quick, hopefully easy question….

bsiss11

Good morning all,

I’m new to HO, currently building a layout, and purchased the Digitrax EVOX Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set (This set comes with the UP-7 panel and has the barrel plug). My layout is 5’ x 20’.

I’ve watched a number of videos and read a bunch of articles, and if I’m understanding the wiring correctly, I’m hoping/planning on the the DCS 210+ being wired up on a shelf underneath the layout, connected to the UP-7 panel via the RJ-12 cable, with just the UP-7 on the facia to keep the front face of the layout clean.

If I’m only using just the one UP-7, Does the still UP-7 require a power supply? Or will the RJ-12 cable provide power for it? The kit did not come with a plug for it, only the PS615 for the DCS-210.

Thanks for all your help in advanced!

Quick, easy answer - - - but not fact checked.

If memory serves, the power supply for a UP-7 is only to charge throttles which have rechargeable batteries. So, the answer depends of whether or not you plan to use rechargeable throttles.

I have the DT-602, but do not use batteries, so my Up-5s (earlier model) are not powered. I only have the Loconet cables to them.

Steve J

Yes, powering the UP-7 allows it to recharge the Dt602 / UT6 throttles. Digitrax sells a power supply that will plug in, (PS14). Or you can make your own. I have a 12VDC bus for all my face plates and I just wire my own 2mm jacks to connect them.

Back