Ho engine leds

Bristolman2012

Where and what do you buy to replace your nano Ho engine led and ditch lights ? Some of my engine lights not working . I will check when I disassemble .
mike

My goodness another bookmark about Ho engine leds ! More confusion . Maybe government should step in and tell everyone to use the same leds in their engines !
mike

Nadda LED Expert but I have installed them in 4 Locos I converted to DCC and HON3. I bought a couple of bundles of then from EBAY, very inexpensive. Even the smallest surface mount ones SMED's are very bright. What complicates is most of them will requite about a 1000 OHM resistor. Some will already have a resistor soldered on, but sometimes these can be in an awkward position. DCC requires a few more wires. Go for small one's 3mm sounds small but isn't. Good luck! Tom

Nadda LED Expert but I have installed them in 4 Locos I converted to DCC and HON3. I bought a couple of bundles of then from EBAY, very inexpensive. Even the smallest surface mount ones SMED's are very bright. What complicates is most of them will requite about a 1000 OHM resistor. Some will already have a resistor soldered on, but sometimes these can be in an awkward position. DCC requires a few more wires. Go for small one's 3mm sounds small but isn't. Good luck! Tom
The chip type are probably the best solution for most applications but their are challenges especially if they're very small and not wired, brightness can be toned down using resistors or painting the LED yellow to give that warm white look for older locomotives.
Resistors may not be needed as many decoders (mainly sound versions as far as I can see) have them fitted for some aux functions.

Ok guys . Haven’t started reworking lights on engine ( atlas gp38 ) ,as going to get my work bench finished first . I looked on line at mounting for Ho ditch lights and you got to be kidding me ! Cost of plastic for mounting leds . Sorry but I refuse . I’ll find some plastic to cut my own . Anyone done this with any success ?
mike

I found some LEDs that can be installed as ditch lights. They're the smallest I've seen so far. Evan Designs.
They are set up so it doesn't matter which way ya wire them to the decoder. They work either way. They also come in a variety of colors, form warm yellow to brilliant white.
The actual LEDs can be seen in the second picture below, near the top right, just below the package logo.

20240117_150552.jpg
20240117_150610.jpg

Last edited:
I like the gasket cement/ silicone for installing small LEDs It just peels off and makes replacement faster. Also works for holding wires in place too.

Plastic? old gift cards

I got uhu tack power pads that are black and are peelable and can be reused ( at least in description ) . Will report back if I ever get the courage to start decoder led install .thx again from all of you ! Gift cards , what a thought !
mike

Hard to believe it doesn't matter which way you wire the LED's as they are a diode which by definition only pass current in one direction.

Back