Hot Wheels vehicle

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
Found a 1956 Ford hotrod panel truck at Walmart for my 1957 era layout I wanted to modify the metal body and get rid of the huge chrome engine.
I started with this.
20220310_200541.jpg

Next, I drilled out the metal rivets on the bottom of the body to disassemble the vehicle.
20220310_201830.jpg

Set the body, chassis and window assemble aside to work on the interior and engine.
20220310_214742.jpg

Using a razor saw, I cut off the top of the engine and had an instant load for an old pickup truck.
20220310_221007.jpg

I used a small piece of styrene and layers of craft glue to to fill in the hole in the hood. Then, I found an old can of spray paint to change the color and hide the repaired hood.
20220312_194236.jpg

I painted the chrome interior seats and dashboard yellow to give a color reflection through the windows and found a couple decals small enough to go on the panels sides.
20220318_210824.jpg

I finished details with chrome paint, headlights and windshield wipers.
20220318_210609.jpg

I added tail lights and a tag to the back to finish off the vehicle. Because this is a 1/72 vehicle, it will be a background truck sitting next to a structure or under a tree. This is an inexpensive accessory that was fun to modify and is now a unique vehicle.

I have some on my layout. For $1.25 each, they are placeholders until I can find the vehicles
I'm looking for at the right price. I try not to spend more than $12 for a vehicle. I do not place
them in close proximity to my HO scale vehicles so they don't really look out of place.

There are a few hot wheels vehicles that are smaller and actually closer to HO scale.
Even the larger ones that are more “realistic“ look alright when placed away from figures or other scale vehicles. Most are S scale if I recall.
Wasn’t there another brand called Johnny Lightning?

So do a lot of people use hot wheels on their layouts? If so is it obvious? I am closer to 70 than 65 and working on a bucket list set up so that means if I can find an acceptable alternative to $20 each cars I can spend a little more elsewhere.
You need to look at Oxford brand vehicles. Quite well detailed and I get them for $10 each at my local model railroad store. A lot of the Mini Metals ones are less than $15 each.
As Rico and Shortwrench posted, Hot Wheels can be used selectively.

You need to look at Oxford brand vehicles. Quite well detailed and I get them for $10 each at my local model railroad store. A lot of the Mini Metals ones are less than $15 each.
As Rico and Shortwrench posted, Hot Wheels can be used selectively.
I agree. I purchase Oxford brand vehicles and am very pleased with them.

It is when my grandchildren get me 'what looks right' I have to put them on my layout. :D

I sent an order to Oxford for 6 of their vehicles the other day. Very easy to order from them, and reasonable shipping. They said to expect 7 to 14 day delivery from England to Ohio.
I have most of their HO vehicles, and I'm VERY happy with the quality, price, and variety they have.
Joe

I got the vehicles from Oxford today. Everything went very smoothly and I am happy with the transaction and always happy with the quality of their vehicles.
Joe

I should have included the following information with the above post, but I didn't think of it then, so here it is now.
I ordered 6 vehicles @$9.12 each. for a total of $54.72 +$9.72 shipping. for a total of $64.44. They did not collect any tax.

Last edited:
There are a few hot wheels vehicles that are smaller and actually closer to HO scale.
Even the larger ones that are more “realistic“ look alright when placed away from figures or other scale vehicles. Most are S scale if I recall.
Wasn’t there another brand called Johnny Lightning
There was.

On the full size scale, Al Unser drove the "Johnny Lightning Special," to back-to-back victories in the 1970 and 1971 Indianapolis 500.
I THINK it was also a Saturday morning cartoon series, though probably short lived. That last one is based on a pretty foggy memory, although I'm also sure it wasn't the Wacky Racers, Penelope Pitstop, or Speed Racer. There was a Beatles cartoon too.

Saturday mornings were fun, although I clearly need to get out more.

Perhaps a nearby model railroad show. Hmmmm.....

HO is smaller than Hot Wheels. 1:87 versus 1:72. Mathmatically 1:72 is about 20% larger than HO at 1:87.
I was wondering about that.... I first thought that Hot Wheels are 1/64 scale?

Hot Wheels do make HO scale...

Back