Interior colors for Santa Fe Budd streamline cars.

DLansing1

Greetings all.

I just recently joined this forum and have been enjoying it so far. Lot of information being shared.

I've been modeling the Southern California railroads for a while now in HO scale. Currently, I'm working on a model of the Santa Fe's Grand Canyon, or at least a close recreation of it. I've been using the Walther's Budd streamline cars to do so, and am in the process of interiors of the cars, adding seat color and passenger figures and so on.
However, I've had no luck with discovering the color of the seats in these cars. I've used pictures of other modeler's work on these same Santa Fe cars, but I'm wondering if there is someplace else to get that information.

Thanks,
Darrel Lansing

I wish I could help you, but it has been about 63 years since I rode the prototype, and I just can't recall. I was 15 then, and only rode it once. ☹ Hope someone else can help...

Greetings all.

I just recently joined this forum and have been enjoying it so far. Lot of information being shared.

I've been modeling the Southern California railroads for a while now in HO scale. Currently, I'm working on a model of the Santa Fe's Grand Canyon, or at least a close recreation of it. I've been using the Walther's Budd streamline cars to do so, and am in the process of interiors of the cars, adding seat color and passenger figures and so on.
However, I've had no luck with discovering the color of the seats in these cars. I've used pictures of other modeler's work on these same Santa Fe cars, but I'm wondering if there is someplace else to get that information.

Thanks,
Darrel Lansing

I goggle searched "Santa Fe passenger car interiors" and got a ton of nice images. This will be most important in your dome cars, less important in sleepers, and somewhat important in coaches. Lightly tinted windows and window shades are your friend here. (guess how I know? :) ) All seats in a car were the same color. Colors did shift from car to car to avoid monotony and for passenger orientation. Turquoise. Red. Tan. Brown. In first class accommodations like parlors and lounges things got fancier. Brown or black leather, patterned cloth. a little more subdued for evening atmosphere like a high class restaurant/bar. If you really want to stick to prototypes, the Santa Fe historical society is a great place to go for good information, as are their Facebook pages. I model mostly SP but I have a minor in Santa Fe. A 1951 and a 1937 Super Chief are in my collection. Have fun but don't kill yourself, as you'll find this sort of work is more for you than for people who might see the end result. Mostly they'll just notice if there are people in the train. I use Tamiya clears to paint .005" clear styrene if I need to do windows. A mixture of green and blue works well to approximate the prototype. This is a "must do" for dome cars! .005" styrene painted light gray or silver makes great window shades. Use canopy glue to attach them so your windows don't fog. Circus City Decals makes nice venetian blind decals for HO passenger cars. Hope this helps!

I'm working on a model of the Santa Fe's Grand Canyon, or at least a close recreation of it. I've been using the Walther's Budd streamline cars to do so, and am in the process of interiors of the cars, adding seat color and passenger figures and so on.
I asked this question to the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeler Society a few years back. I have been looking for the response since you posted this and it seems to be lost to the digital waste can.

As near as I can recall what Espee Fan said is correct. burgundy, brown, camel, brunswick. I ended up using brown carpet with "mint" colored walls and burgundy seats in my mini diorama (900 square scale feet max). Unfortunately it ended up being more of a brick red because I didn't prime with black, and I didn't have time to fix it, and then the flash really washed it out some more. Don't forget the headrests.
seat end 35.jpg

Back