Ballasted and Weathered Track

mondo1948

Hi Guys and Gals,
I've just finished painting a section of my HO code 83 track, ballasting it and then weathering the whole area. Attached are some photos, including the last one that illustrates what my ballast and rails looked like before the final weathering, where the ballast was all a single color gray. Please don't tell me now that I've overdone it because as you know, it is impossible to unscramble an egg....it would be difficult to unweather it.

Being 72 years old and being incarcerated in my home because of the virus, (yes, I'm wearing my ankle bracelet and mask religiously), I've had a lot of time on my hands. Let me tell you how I used that time on this step of my model railroad, which by the way has a double-track mainline with over 200 feet of track.

First, I airbrushed the rails to look like iron. Then, I airbrushed some rust on the rails. Next, I used a brush to paint the plastic ties dark brown.
Now came the fun part. I used a squeeze bottle to run black india ink, mixed with Bragdon soot-colored weathering powder to make the ties and ballast between the rails look "sooty" black. Then, I airbrushed Bragdon weathering powders, mixed with alcohol/water 3:1, along the outer sides of the rails, hitting the ties and down towards grade, leaving some ballast near the bottom to look unweathered. I should tell you that I went back and lightly airbrushed some gray chalk/alcohol over brown areas that were too uniformly colored brown. Bottom-line, I didn't want consistency.

Like I said, I have had a lot of time on my hands. If anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer them. I'll be happy to provide my email or phone number.....heck, other than my wife and dog, I haven't had much opportunity to use my voice to speak so let's talk.

Mondo

Attachments

• Ballast1.jpg
    Ballast1.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Ballast2.jpg
    Ballast2.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Ballast3.jpg
    Ballast3.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Ballast4.jpg
    Ballast4.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Original ballast.jpg
    Original ballast.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
The only thing that would have made it look better would have been to use Milwaukee Road boxcars. ;)

Nice job!
Since I live in Connecticut, I have to model the New Haven. We live in Westbrook, which is on the shore and we watch New Haven passenger cars and freight cars go by all the time. I get to watch them from my basement windows and sliding door while I'm building my layout.
Mondo

Mondo,

Very nice work. I would like to weather my HO code 83 track. I am reluctant to do so because I do not know what would be best to use to clean the tops of the rails after the weathering. I have read on this forum and others that Bright Boy will clean the rails but also leaves scratches on the rails that will collect dirt and need further numerous cleanings. Along with what you used to clean the rails, did you clean the rails after each weathering paint or powder application? or did you wait until you were complete with all of the weathering steps and clean everything off at once.

Your track weathering looks very good.

A soon as the ballast is in place, I use a piece of cork roadbed that has a piece of towel wrapped around the cork. I wet the towel with water which dissolves the white glue used to attach the ballast. I then follow up with a piece of cork roadbed which "polishes" the tops of the rail.

I prefer white glue over all the over other products used to attach ballast.

A Walther's Bright Boy if used with slight pressure shouldn't damage or scratch the rail heads.

And more towards answering your question....If I painted the rails for weathering I use the proper solvent for the paint and apply it on the cork and towel and wipe the rails again followed by a clean piece of cork roadbed. Sometimes I do use a Bright Boy after weathering the track.

Greg

Last edited:
I had used the Bright Boy on and off for years. I never worried about how much pressure I used, I never knew I was scratching. About 6 years ago I read never use a BB or sandpaper. Well I used to use both and I can’t find the scratches I supposedly was making. Now I clean off the track after painting with a rag soaked in mineral spirits and with 1 finger do a rail at a time. When done about every 25’ I apply some graphite, I clean 2 times a year because I feel like I should and use the same procedure to wipe the rails. Then I run trains and generally do for 15 minutes every day. YMMV. Have fun. TomO

Track looks beautiful! Maybe need a few weeds here and there?
That Tank Car could use a little of your weathering - way too clean!
What kind of "fur friend" do you have? Here is my latest addition and rescue.
Rosie 02.jpg

Mondo,

Very nice work. I would like to weather my HO code 83 track. I am reluctant to do so because I do not know what would be best to use to clean the tops of the rails after the weathering. I have read on this forum and others that Bright Boy will clean the rails but also leaves scratches on the rails that will collect dirt and need further numerous cleanings. Along with what you used to clean the rails, did you clean the rails after each weathering paint or powder application? or did you wait until you were complete with all of the weathering steps and clean everything off at once.

I use a bright boy and an eraser made by "Perfect"....if you google track cleaner, it will come up within the Hobbylinc website. The Perfect eraser doesn't seem to have the grit in it to make scratches like the Bright Boy. I don't clean the track till I'm finished with all the painting and weathering. I really haven't worried about the bright boy making scratches, however, I have one of those CMX track cleaners that I run around the track every once in a while filled with laquer thinner. That really cleans up the track, especially in my 8 foot tunnel where I can't reach all of it to clean.

I should mention that with a lot of paint on the rails, the best way to remove it is to take a chisel X-acto blade, turn it upside down so the tapered cutting edge is facing down and run it along the rails. The paint comes off in long curly strips and as long as you push the knife blade at about a 45 degree angle, it doesn't gouge the rail. I would have spent hours and hours using my bright boy to get the paint off where I had about 50 feet done in about an hour.....probably 1/10 the time and a lot less sore fingers.

Hope this helps,
Mondo

Last edited:
Track looks beautiful! Maybe need a few weeds here and there?
That Tank Car could use a little of your weathering - way too clean!
What kind of "fur friend" do you have? Here is my latest addition and rescue.
View attachment 115305
You're right....that tank car does need weathering.
Here's a photo of our dog that we rescued about 3 years ago. She was 6 or 7 years old then. When we first saw a photo of her from the animal shelter, we thought she was a larger dog....about 35 lbs. or so. She is tiny....only 12 pounds.

Stay safe,

Mondo

Attachments

• Daisy.jpg
    Daisy.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 169

Back