Recent content by WesternPlains

1. W

Layout building?

Ive never known a reefer unit that could pull down to -35. Mine are all ice cream spec and will do -25, but thats it. Also, most trailers dont come with the electric standby option, so thats out anyways. If Im gonna use a trailer for this, then Im not looking to spend upwards of $100k for a...
  2. W

Making a crashed loco

Hey folks, Ive always been fascinated by the amount of damage sustained in a wreck with these beasts. I have a few old BB SD40-2 shells laying around and Im looking to make a severely damaged unit. Whats the best way to go about this? Im thinking heating it up with a heat gun so it gets soft...
  3. W

Scale Trains loco's

Mornin folks, Ive been outa the hobby for a few years and I see that Scale Trains has entered the ring and has some pretty nice stuff! What is the big difference between the operator series compared to the rivet counter? I know its in the details, but what kind of details do they add/leave out...
  4. W

Layout building?

A 53' reefer would be great, but those are a hot commodity these days. 48's are almost a dime a dozen so I think that would be the way to go. As far as the reefer unit itself, that would be overkill unless you were going for an authentic winter scene where it had to be -10 inside lol. I would...
  5. W

Layout building?

Howdy folks, Im a rejuvenated modeller from a few years ago and Im looking for build another layout. My last layout was a fairly simple 6x12 in my basement that I could walk around, but this time I dont have a basement, so Im considering either an insulated seacan container (39x7.5' inside...

Back