Recent content by swampsavage

1. S

track connector?

They're called "Rail Joiners"... ...and you can get them any RR hobby shop or online from one of the distributors of HO items. Considering the age of your track I'd say you need the ones for Code 100. If unsure take a section along when you buy if you have a local hobby shop.
  2. S

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

I know who isn't best anymore... ...placed an order for 2 items, that showed in stock, from a big upper midwest distributor with an equally big catalog. When I checked status both items show "backordered" with no estimated due date. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't want them right away. That's...
  3. S

FastTracks question

Sorry Doug... ...the extent of my MILW passenger equipment is 7 of the Walther's heavyweights, 7 of the Walther's 1955 Hiawatha streamlined cars, the Fox Valley models 4-4-2 Hiawatha set, and some older Rivarossi that are probably not prototypically correct to go with the Rivarossi 4-6-4...
  4. S

FastTracks question

I am about to start on a layout. Have had past experience handlaying track. I would also like to build my own turnouts. The space will be approximately 16' X 12' in HO and I will be running a double mainline with passenger consists pulled by 4-6-2 and 4-6-4 steamers, E7s, DL109's and FP7's...
  5. S

F-1's Through F-7's

Correct Big problem with acceptance of Trainmasters was reliability. I worked for FM in 1964 when they announced to the world they had developed an OP engine with 1000HP per cylinder. They had a 6 cyl prototype set up in the corner of one of the shops. When they started her up it was...
  6. S

F-1's Through F-7's

Not sure about WWII FM engines but the opposed piston ones in later years did not have a crankshaft in the middle. There was one on top and one on the bottom. On compression the top and bottom pistons converged on each other.
  7. S

Code 70

I have enough responses... ...from this, and other forums, that lots of folks are using code 70, and that it's even very close to prototypical for my RR and era. I have acquired 198' of ME rail and enough CVT tie strips to handlay. Also CVT #7 and #9 turnout kits. I'm going to try the...
  8. S

Just getting started with an airbrush

well, for starters, acrylics are thinned by water (or alcohol for faster drying). Enamels are thinned by mineral spirits (or paint thinner, a cheaper, less refined version). Some use lacquer thinner as well. If you Google airbrush you can get all kinds of info. Double-action means the...
  9. S

Code 70

Any of you use code 70 rail for HO mainline?
  10. S

The Best Locomotives

I just tried out my Proto 1000 FM "C" Liner A and powered B units I won on eBay recently. Both run great and are so close speed wise to make a lashup to pull many boxes, reefers, tankers, and anything else to make up a consist. My Proto 2000's (E8/9 and E7) are beasts along with my Proto...
  11. S

Foam danger

About a month ago I broke out the airbrush equipment. One item I bought back in 1983, and hadn't used yet, was a Binks Raven dual action. It came in a walnut box with it, and all the accessories, nestled in fitted green foam. The foam had deteriorated and bonded to most all it was in...
  12. S

Newbie from Wisconsin.

Welcome Mark, I'm from Wisconsin (many years ago). Have daughter, and family, in Green Bay.
  13. S

Hello from Long Island, NY!

Welcome Kevin, I also model Milwaukee Road as was born and raised in northern Wisconsin. This is one of the most active RR forums I've found. Much helpful advice here.
  14. S

Can't get any better...

Yeah...and the wife didn't even see me smuggle them in;););)
  15. S

Can't get any better...

FedX left a custom painted brass Milw Road 4-6-4 right after USPS lady left a custom painted brass Milw 4-6-2 and Proto1000 Milw "C" liner A unit and powered B unit. Ebay trifecta! Now I have to get a layout started.:):):)

Back