Recent content by SoCalTrainGuy74

1. S

Any Connection Between (Your) Age and Choice of N or HO?

In my 20's I had the space to model in HO Scale and I had quite a collection. My favorite aspects of the hobby is scenery and structures and HO had tons of options when it came to structures. Walthers had begun producing numerous kits at the time so it was quite an exciting time to be in the...
  2. S

I need some ideas for a small layout

Thank you guys so much for the links and ideas. I've got quite a few great ideas from just seeing a few of those track plans already.
  3. S

I need some ideas for a small layout

I've managed to secure a small area in my home for a shelf style layout. I have a 2 foot wide by 5 foot long area available to me so obviously N Scale is the way to go with such space limitations. I'd like something simple yet not too boring. I'm probably going to concentrate more on scenery...
  4. S

Greetings from Southern California

My boys are 5 and 7
  5. S

Is Computer Railroad Simulation Programs Really Model Railroading?

Trainz has a few different versions. I think the latest version I had used was 2010. You could find them on Amazon. There are newer versions but I don't think they are made by the same folks that made the original Trainz, a company called Auran I think if I remember correctly, from Australia...
  6. S

Is Computer Railroad Simulation Programs Really Model Railroading?

Years ago I came across a train simulator program called Trainz and the program allowed you to build a virtual world. You could design and build the ultimate layout without any of the real world restrictions such as size or money. It's very easy to use and in no time I had recreated some of my...
  7. S

Modeling your local area

My last layout was an N Scale combination of two famous railroad locations here in Southern California. The Cajon Pass and Tehachapi Loop. It was a simple design that essentially utilized the design of the Tehachapi Loop but with the distinct rock formations and scenery of the Cajon Pass. When...
  8. S

No reason at all. I live in a small mountain community in the San Bernardino mountains called Crestline.
  9. S

You will notice a pattern with my posts after a while. I work as a security officer on weekends and I just get to sit around and be on my laptop all night so I make my rounds on various forums so you will see I only post on weekends :)
  10. S

do you ever get sad when you look at some of the stuff you've gotten from ebay?

Back in the 90's I was very much active in Model Railroading and had quite a collection of HO Scale rolling stock and locomotives although my true passion was structures. I would purchase regular out of the box kits and would detail them until they no longer resembled the original kits. I had a...
  11. S

Good morning/afternoon/evening.... 39 year old guy here from sunny Southern California! Like many of you I am returning back to a hobby that brought me great joys when I was younger and had a more "disposable" income. Now I'm married with two young boys and although it's been many years since...

Back