Recent content by OldGuy

1. O

Safety First

Cool seeing railroading as it was a 100 years ago here. Never thought about the cables keeping the disconnect log cars together. And the use of link and pin couplers - wow.
  2. O

Shinohara HOn3 Code70 Dual Gauge turnouts

I've got some - 10 11/16"
  3. O

Long, Narrow Layouts, perhaps in old Mobile Home Trailers

Try this one http://www.magnoliaroute.com/
  4. O

Alternate uses for shays & heislers than logging

A quarry operation maybe a good bet. Phenix Quarry in southern Missouri used as Shay to get the blocks of marble out of the quarry to the cutting/finishing operation. Since your space is limited, this may not work, but the Kansas City Southern used a Shay (Lima shop build 2570) to access rail...
  5. O

mth explains lol

Did anyone else notice the statement that they " . . . allow the locomotive to run at scale (1/86) speed." So their HO scale products are to a 1/86 scale???
  6. O

Walthers Grain Elevator...WTH?

Can't speak directly to the Walthers version, but most of the older grain elevators that I have been in had no personnel elevator, only a belt man lift. Some had no interior stairs past a certain point. Doors to nowhere, we guarded from the inside, so no one was falling out. Above the door...
  7. O

Right of Way - Sign Posts - Question

Sounds more like intermediate mile post striping.
  8. O

Another WTH Ebay Moment

Look at how it is shipped - "Shipping within the USA: $3.95 for the first train, & $1.00 per each additional train - in a padded, manila envelope at buyer's risk." Padded envelope???? Buyers risk???
  9. O

Easing into DCC?

Hmm, I'm going through the same dilemma. Except, I already have several older DC power packs and plan on using them with my older engines so I can test my trackwork as it goes in. Yes, I will run large bus wires, use DCC-friendly turnouts, etc. The only reversing loop issues will be with the...
  10. O

Mail-order Ethics

When I lived in "the big city", I always bought local. Most gave some sort of discount and since I had the privilege of holding whatever I wanted to buy in my hands, that trumped the dollar or five that I would have saved via mail order. One shop, would get to know their regular customers and...
  11. O

It's not how many Trains you have, it's how much you enjoy them that counts!

Obviously, you are being facetious. (I hope) On the portion of the Frisco that I am modeling, a 12 to 14 car train is long! Passenger service is handled by an E-8 and 2 cars, maybe three on a good day. Having a fiddle yard at each end, small yard in the middle, and 30 to50 industry spots, a...
  12. O

question on hand laid turnouts

That and you can download/print free turnout templates from Fast Tracks. Central Valley Model Works also has turnout kits and switch ties for DIYers.
  13. O

It's not how many Trains you have, it's how much you enjoy them that counts!

When I first got started in the hobby, I was a freelancer with sights on a layout featuring both standard and narrow gauge trackage. So I bought what I liked or thought that I could use, especially since I rarely paid MSRP. When we moved and downsized, I decided to protolance something more...
  14. O

Inventory

Nightmare - most definitely unless ya got a ton of spare time and are a touch typist. Searching - not a problem. At least in Excel (no bells and whistles but it works for me), between the sort and filter function I can quickly determine what I got. I can print it out in a similar manner...
  15. O

Convert Athearn F unit to DCC

If I may ask, since I am late to the party - you stated that you have a powered unit and a dummy unit. Why didn't you put the decoder in the dummy and use a mini-plug to run the wires across the drawbar to the powered unit? Much like some steamers where the decoder is in the tender.

Back