Recent content by Maljunulo

1. M

VIA Rail Quarantined Passenger Train

"We're from the Feddle Gummint. We're here to help."
  2. M

sealing chalk?????

Maybe I am very much in the minority, but I just leave mine. I don't handle the equipment very much and if it rubs off, I just add a bit more. Easy.
  3. M

What size ballast?

If you scale prototype ballast, it turns out that the fraction between 35 and 45 mesh sieves makes accurate (HO) scale ballast. I have no idea what mesh the various ballast vendors use, but that range will give you ballast which scales up to between slightly over an inch to two inches. That is...
  4. M

Starting a small HO layout

You could certainly do worse than one of those layouts. They are well thought out and have enough operation built in that you don't have to just watch trains run around an oval. Get a locomotive painted up in demo colors and it could be running on any railroad, or be there on a lease. That...
  5. M

New 4x8 Layout

We still don't know what happened to your first two layouts. I think you need to do a lot of reading before you do any more building or start any more layouts. Good luck.
  6. M

New 4x8 Layout

You said this is your third layout. Just out of vulgar curiosity, what happened to the first two?
  7. M

Track voltage?

Not to pick at nits, but that "ain't" what a bridge rectifier does. Rectifiers convert AC to DC. Bridge Rectifiers convert AC to full-wave-rectified DC. DC is not "a more normal sine wave." Please explain just how a bridge rectifier can convert anything into any kind of sine wave, in case I...
  8. M

Any problem...

????????????????
  9. M

C & S West-Short Line

Bingo! Tnx
  10. M

C & S West-Short Line

I really don't want to be a pain, but can you put up a link that works? I am not able to find your pictures.
  11. M

C & S West-Short Line

Do you have any photos of the Boxcabs?
  12. M

Go gentle, newb here

I would suggest you do some reading, as others have said. There is a lot to learn and it will keep you busy for years. You have the whole internet available otherwise you wouldn't be here. Look around. Let us know how it is going.
  13. M

Need help with digital camera.

I would choose whichever one takes better macro photos. If you can't tell the difference, then I'd choose the cheaper of the two. I cannot imagine you would be unhappy with the Canon even though it is less. Remember, there is a lot more to photography than going out and throwing money at a...
  14. M

Paper mill track plan

You can avoid the "looked good on paper" problem by making scale drawings of your track plan or by getting full sized switch templates and laying it out on brown paper in 1:1 size. This will sort out the worst cases of "Gee, I thought that would fit, look, here is my drawing." In the long...
  15. M

Primer Color?

Thanks to all who replied. It looks as if it is "whim and chance."

Back