Recent content by malibu43

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. malibu43

Ride or watch Grand Canyon Railway?

Random question - We are looking at taking a family trip to the Grand Canyon the first weekend in April and are probably going to take the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and back. The day we are planning on going is one of the days they operate their steam locomotive on one of the...
  2. malibu43

EBAY NEWBIE LOSES LOCO

PayPal is generally less risky than use your credit card.
  3. malibu43

Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Finally ordered some brake details for these Athearn GP60's I got almost 2 years ago. The detail parts came yesterday, maybe I'll add them this weekend...
  4. malibu43

No Luck in my Search for an O-Scale 2-Rail 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 Steamer with DCC and Sound

Hal, Depending on your budget, you could get that brass loco and look into paying one of the talented members here to paint and decal it for you...? I've seen some amazing work posted in the past by some.
  5. malibu43

Question about purchasing used track

Not to nitpick, but code 100 is 100 thousandths of an inch. 83 is 83/1000. If code 100 was 100/100th, the rails would be an inch tall... :)
  6. malibu43

Hobby Room Update

Why are people compelled to open up a thread and complain about its contents when they could simply just not read it?
  7. malibu43

What SCALE and GAUGE do you model in?

Looks like they way the poll is set up, you can vote for more than one option. So if someone models quite a bit in HO and O, and they check those boxes, it probably messes with the way it calculates percentages. ie - if only one person had voted in my scenario above, HO and O would each show 100%.
  8. malibu43

What Era do you Model?

As you stated yourself, the manufacturers continue to produce modern equipment, and I doubt they would be doing that if people weren't buying it. So I'll put my money on the manufacturers knowing what the consumers want, vs a poll with 38 responses on one of many discussion forums related to...
  9. malibu43

What Era do you Model?

Or this poll is not representative of all model railroaders...
  10. malibu43

Should I Return to HO?

Ok... That right there was funny.
  11. malibu43

Should I Return to HO?

As others have mentioned, it's a preference call that you'll have to make. I think you will certainly have more options for locomotives and rolling stock with HO. That being said, you have some nice looking O scale equipment that I bet looks very nice running around that spacious layout you have.
  12. malibu43

Winter Projects

It's not how hard the conversion is - its will they perform well enough for it to be worth while.
  13. malibu43

Winter Projects

Ah. I see. Man, that's a lot of locomotives! The reason I ask all these questions is that my relatively small fleet of diesels (4 powered and one dummy) is all old Athearn Blue Box. I have enjoyed recently touching up paint and adding LEDs and number boards. I'm tempted to do more detailing...
  14. malibu43

Winter Projects

Do you put DCC decoders in all these Blue Box GPs and SDs?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.