Recent content by KB02

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. KB02

Looking for feedback on new N-Scale layout

The duck under is covered. Gottcha! Moving on.. ;) What do you have planned for the two yard areas and how will they be accessed?
  2. KB02

Looking for feedback on new N-Scale layout

What will the height of your base be? I decided to get rid of a duck under and went with a lift up bridge for my layout. Granted, my layout's height is little over 43", so it's not as low as some, but not as high as other. Still ducking under annoying until I choose a lift up design. Takes a...
  3. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

The best laid plans of mice and men... Got the track all laid and I had planned on bringing you a quick video of the inaugural pass of a loco over the new bridge tonight, but as my Dash-8 entered the bridge from the left hand side (as you look at the pictures), it abruptly stopped as the snow...
  4. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Installed the sides on the bridge. As per CM-Fan’s suggestion, they were primered before installation. As thirsty as this wood is, probably could have used a second coat, but the paint did go on a bit better. Then I “tarred” the deck and called it done. Actually, it’s not quite done. I want to...
  5. KB02

JTEX A switcher junkyard

I love the plywood covered doors. Awesome touch!
  6. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Boatwrench - Here’s a quick video of the hinges in action (if I can make the upload work, that is...) :
  7. Lift up movie.MOV

Lift up movie.MOV

Quick video of my lift up bridge in action
  8. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

The hinges are working great! I can see where I may have to refine the lift up a bit on the non-hinge side, but so far, it has been working great. Running trains on a regular basis with almost no issues. CM-fan: I have used that brush for SO MUCH on this layout. Best Father’s Day gift EVER! 😀
  9. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

An interesting bit of trivia information: San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge was originally planned to be a different color. The red was simply a primer and they had planned to paint it a different color when it was compete. BUT, the people of San Francisco, when construction had finished, had...
  10. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Got some work done over the weekend and tonight. I found a better way to align the lateral supports. I laid out the path with tape: Starting drilling through, then pealed the tape away as I went (mainly so I could still grasp the drill): The end result looks much straighter on the right hand...
  11. KB02

Maximum Short-Run Grades

There is a great video online that I will try to find a post here of a local Vermont railroad that operates a bunch of switchbacks to get to a quarry. I think they said some of the grade approach 5%!!! ---------------------------------- Found it! Found another video, too, where it said the...
  12. KB02

Sometimes track plans don't work out

Sometimes track plans certainly do not work out. That is true. Great work. Your scenery looks fantastic!
  13. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Not sure why half the pics weren't showing in that last post, but I think I fixed it.
  14. KB02

Rebuilding My Layout

Had the day off from work today. Veterans Day - Thank You to all who have Served. Spent the bulk of the day in the basement working on the bridge and made some pretty good progress. After the first hour, thought, I only had this: Keen observers may notice a small change to the background as...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.