Recent content by Janry

1. J

Beginner Question: EZ Track or not?

I'm planning on some track in my layout that will be "less maintained" and some that is well maintained. The "less maintained" will not use the cork roadbed. How do I transition between "Less" and "well" maintained at say, the turnouts?
  2. J

Salvaging old track

Ahhhhh! Read the instructions! Who would a thunk it? Thanks Mike.
  3. J

Salvaging old track

I hope I can salvage much of the track I used in my beginner's layout and use it again in my next layout. I glued the track to foam using Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue and I slathered on on there pretty good as I remember. Is there a glue release agent I can use to make the job easier and...
  4. J

Layout in a crawl space

Wow! just WoW!
  5. J

I've been missing...

My biggest concerns with N scale isn't so much with the locomotive and rolling stock size or the soldering anymore. I'm more concerned with the N scale scenery, structures and figures size. Also, less selection in N scale than HO scale. I am fascinated with helixes and nolixes. I hadn't...
  6. J

I've been missing...

Here is another HO possibility I've come up with and I would like your thoughts. Track plans shown are not anywhere near final. Just put in to show two loops are possible with plenty of sidings, etc. As you can see, I'm thinking of a 2' liftout or duckunder to get to the area where I...
  7. J

I've been missing...

I've sadly realized two things: 1) I cheated on the 30" reach rule some in the above layout. I knew it but decided they were small distances and I could manage. 2) I measured my own reach by doing some practical things and realize 24" is about my maximum to be comfortable for much at all...
  8. J

When to Level Tracks

Is it the River Pass layout? I found great difficulty in decoupling over the bridge with their plans. IMO, the incline they used was too great to suddenly level at the bridge and then start dropping. I still have two cars (inexpensive ones) that still will not make it without decoupling but...
  9. J

I've been missing...

I think I might have come up with something that I can make work. Thoughts?
  10. J

I've been missing...

You are both right. I've toyed with that thought and may well use it but ideally I'd like to have them on the same level so I can switch the trains between tracks. I know. I want too much. But, I want to consider all possibilities and I know I've not seen near as much as some of you more...
  11. J

I've been missing...

Thanks Waltr. That is much better than anything I came up with using a modified dogbone concept. Here it is in XTrackCad with 22" radius loops at each end. I could possibly cheat a bit and have the benchwork on each loop extend down another foot to give a little extra though it...
  12. J

I've been missing...

I understand what you are saying but that probably is too advanced for me. Another thing is we consider the exit from the basement an emergency exit from the kitchen as there isn't another way out from there should there be a fire in the main living area. As such, we'd want to keep that area...
  13. J

I've been missing...

I have modified the original image to show the doorway location (see first post). My original concept was a dogbone or modifed dogbone but since I desire to have two trains running unattended at the same time, I'm not able to do it from what I can determine.
  14. J

I've been missing...

I've revised my thinking a bit and here is my latest thought using the same room for the layout: This is a 5' x 16' rectangle. I know this exceeds the reach as I don't have access to the left and top but with this layout, I'd build the benchwork on good quality 4" casters and would roll...
  15. J

I've been missing...

I'd like some advice but first, I should probably re-introduce myself as I plan on being here more often. I orginally joined this forum about 2 1/2 years ago as I began working on my first layout. Here is my original introduction...

Back