Recent content by gregc

1. gregc

One Loco out of 6 stops on same spot ???

dcc has a checksum so that it can detect corrupted packets and ignore them. see top of 2nd page of NMRA standard 9.2
  2. gregc

One Loco out of 6 stops on same spot ???

i've wondered how locomotives with multiple contact points can fail to get power. By multiple contact points, I mean multiple wheels, metal on metal contact between tender trucks and metal frame, and a metal draw-bar. Of course there's a problem if the drawbar looses contact, but I also...
  3. gregc

Low-Tech methods of powering a frog?

here's a reliable approach to consider from the Pacific Southern. there's a yellow dowel protruding from the block on the left that extends thru the facia. It is moved left/right (vertically in the photo). The block pivots on the screw near the top. The advantage of a toggle over the...
  4. gregc

Low-Tech methods of powering a frog?

and there's always using the point contact with the main rail
  5. gregc

Radio cab interference

microwave ovens operate at 2450MHz, resonant freq of water molecules. NCE wireless operates at 916 MHz. some wireless phones. anything that says 900 MHz
  6. gregc

Radio cab interference

The Pacific Southern was using the NCE wireless cab until there were reliability problems. I borrowed a spectrum analyzer from work and we were able to see an intermittent signal at the frequency the NCE system operates (916 MHz ?), which is in the unlicensed and shared ISM band. There...
  7. gregc

Calculating Ohms

it's one thing to limit the current thru an LED with a resistor, but not typically done with a motor which has a dynamic load. why not find a supply, a wall wart, that is closer to the operating voltage of the motor and equal or greater current?
  8. gregc

Wireless DC transformer for G scale ?

have you consider RC car controllers?
  9. gregc

Reversing Loops

why would mechanical relays matter? curious
  10. gregc

Reversing Loops

i don't think you necessarily need 2 separate reversers unless you expect to have two trains enter/exit both loops at the same which may not be possible with the crossovers. both reverse sections would be wired together and a train straddling any of the 4 ends would cause both reverse section...
  11. gregc

Different way to do detection/occupancy

is there a diagram showing a schematic, as well as a diagram that shows the geometry of the sensor and the track?
  12. gregc

Power Supply for "far-away" UTPs

presumably in the middle, so that no UTP is more than 15 ft from the supply?
  13. gregc

NCE control question

if the other operators also have NCE cabs, they can bring them to your session, as well as you bringing yours to their session
  14. gregc

NCE layout needs lots of help

First, I'm not talking about JMRI. I suggesting what PC control software can do. (i'm an electrical/firmware engineer. this is why the Pacific Southern uses custom software) no, everything goes thru the computers. If the computer is off, the railroad is dead. i'm trying to say that the...

Back