Recent content by Good Sir Jim

1. Good Sir Jim

Custom Painting Life-Like GP-38

Make no mistake, I would love either of those, but that involves spedning money. I may have been a little unclear, I already own the engine, and have for a while. All I need to buy is the necessary decals. But thank you for the link, I may buy one of those in the near future.
  2. Good Sir Jim

Ah, excellent, thank you both. Those are excellent links to have, Josh, I've been looking for websites with photos.
  3. Good Sir Jim

I bought a Chessie GP-38 a long while back at a train show somewhereabouts. It runs sort of noisy, and doesn't have any flywheels, and the paint scheme is way off, colors are too dark and icky. So I thought this one would be the perfect candidate for my first custom-painted engine. Does...
  4. Good Sir Jim

I've Found My Way Back To Model Railroading

So I spent the last 2 nights learning XTrkCAD, and set up the layout. And running the trains alerted me to quite the problem. The spurs making up the yard only have the track leading back to the turntable for switching out, and limits the length by a bit. So now I'm fiddling with it and...
  5. Good Sir Jim

another newbie would like................

Hello and welcome! You'll find it nice and cozy here. Also, more pictures!
  6. Good Sir Jim

Weekend Railroading Limericks 22-24 June

I once had an ole' SD7, Never did look where he was headin', Through a tunnel one day, In an explosive fray, A dynamite mine and train heaven.
  7. Good Sir Jim

Hmm. I'd like to ask, then, if it's painfully difficult to build a custom crossing? I'll pull a 9" straight from the upper left curve in the yard, and have it cross the flex track section and mainline. Is that a viable idea? Any programs or books or websites I should visit? Thanks once...
  8. Good Sir Jim

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've revised the plan for a possible final time, and I believe this time I've got everything fixed. I moved the Mainline to the back of the area, more or less switched its position and the turntable's. This allows me to put in the maximum space for...
  9. Good Sir Jim

My apologies, I didn't clarify all the way. I plan to drop the underpass tracks an inch into the foam as needed for the 3" to get the clearance. Smoke, you are correct, the two parallel tracks are the elevated ones. Chip, while I would love to increase the amount of actual switching, my...
  10. Good Sir Jim

3 years ago, I abandoned my last railroading project with frustration and general anger. Faulty equipment, a lack of knowledge on electronics in general, and clumsy fingers, horrible for laying track, working on trains, and anything with finesse. With these passed years, I'd like to think...

Back