Recent content by GJ@PARR

1. G

Need help with digital camera.

I personally haven't cracked one in awhile. Most of the stuff I own is probably out of print. The concepts never change though. Take a trip down to the local library. They will undoubtedly have several. I know Ansel Adams had a really good series of books. His landscape work was out of this...
  2. G

modeling steel cable

Guitar strings
  3. G

Need help with digital camera.

The best piece of camera equipment you can purchase right now is a book on composition and basic techniques. I can take better photographs then most in this forum using my 1953 Leica IIIF or my 1970 Minotla SRT 101. Both great cameras. These days digital is the thing. I have a Cannon A520...
  4. G

Which source?

Out of the four hobby shops I did business with, four went out of business. I do most of my shopping at Trainfest in Milwaukee and other smaller swap meets. Jim
  5. G

Life Like

I'll third that and say that the Proto 2000 stuff is really great. And that's in DC mode. The cheaper stuff though, avoid it. Jim
  6. G

Gremlins?

Gremlins on the railroad is what keeps things interesting. Just when you think you've seen it all, some new head scratcher pops up. I regard them as learning experiences and with my railroad, I'm well on my way to become a learned man. Ha. Jim
  7. G

How to make an omelet

Kind of reminds me of a long time ago derailment where a box car full of cases of beer split open. Talk about the fastest clean up in history.
  8. G

Railroad Pole, with bigger selection

I model the Milwaukee. I'm more Swede then anything else, no offense to the Poles. Cheers jim
  9. G

Traction Problem

Go down to your local fleet & Farm or Farm & Fleet, what ever they call it and pick up a can of BELT-EASE. This is a product designed for belts on a farm tractor so they don't slip even after they are somewhat worn out. Apply a coat to one of the drive wheels on both sides of the loco. Make...
  10. G

Smoke Units

Try one of those party supply places. They have smoke units that won't poison everyone out. They are designed for your intended use. Jim
  11. G

'Toy' train set radius?

Just a thought. If you have a room you can devote to your model railroading, why not go around the perimeter of the room rather then confining yourself to a sheet of plywood? It will feature longer runs, easier access and you can make nice wide radius turns. If I was starting over, that's...
  12. G

getting back into it~

I think you would be well served by a trip to the public library. There you'll be able to find a wealth of information. When I started I also picked up some of the Atlas books at the local hobby shop. Although they are slanted toward atlas products they can be a great source of basic info...
  13. G

Question...

I work out of my home, but I gave a store front my business name. I also modeled buildings for my other hobbies. I've got a dive shop, a bicycle shop and a liquor store. My favorite one though is Donut world. There are pictures of that one elsewhere on this board. Jim
  14. G

Model railroading between houses: Has it been done?

That's what John Allen style track cleaning cars are for. Noooo problemo!:) Jim
  15. G

Gj@pa Rr

That's a great idea. I could probably hook up three of the stubs to the inside loop on the other side. That would really open up operations. Take a little pressure off the 050. Ha Thanks. jim

Back