Recent content by fire5506

1. fire5506

Kadee Coupler Gauge Question

Are they Kadee couplers on the locomotive? Have you tried different couplers, such as another set of 148s? Athearn Genesis locomotives come with McHenry couplers which aren't as good as Kadees.
  2. fire5506

Kadee Coupler Gauge Question

I use the 205 with a #5 in it all the time to check 148's. The #5 in the coupler gauge is there to check the height of the car or locomotive to a standard, plus check the height above the rail of the trip pin. Check to make sure there isn't too much up and down movement in the couplers on...
  3. fire5506

Coupler spring replacement

That is the replacement for Kadee #235 which is the one I use. They discontinued the 235. Wish I could buy a couple more 235s. Richard Webster
  4. fire5506

EMD TR5A

Why do you say use the EMD version of the decoder and not the EMD2 version? I bought the EMD2 for my Lifelike SW9/1200. I used the EMD 12 cylinder 567 no transition and it sounds exactly like the SW9s and SW1200s that I ran on the railroad. It's also the one that George Bogatiuk told me to use...
  5. fire5506

Coupler spring replacement

I was told to use a piece of thread to keep the spring from disappearing when installing it. I tried it and it worked great. I use a thin threat about 8 inches long. I slide the spring over it to about the middle of the thread. I then pick the spring up with either the old spring pic from Kadee...
  6. fire5506

Cleaning metal out of files

I highly doubt that you melted any metal while filing it. What happened is the metal galled into the file. If you are using needle files you may have limited results with wire brushes as the wires are too big to get into the cuts in the files to get the metal out. Chalk rubbed on the file...
  7. fire5506

Walthers Digital Turntable Drops Track Assignments

I don't know about the 90ft turntable, but the 130ft the sensor is in the side of the pit and the end of the bridge. If you don't figure out what happened, I would contact Walthers. A friend of mine had problems with his 130 ft and the guy he talked with there was a real help to him. Richard
  8. fire5506

Rivarossi 0-8-0

Check and make sure the frame doesn't have Zinc Pest. If it does then it isn't worth trying to repair.
  9. fire5506

Oregon Railway Supply

I sent them an email asking about PRR signals and they wrote back asking which ones I'm interested in, so I'm assuming they are still in business. Richard
  10. fire5506

Brakewheel color

When the car is painted the handbrake and brake wheel are painted the same color as the car, but if the hand brake or brake wheel are replaced they are in what ever color the manufacturer painted them, usually black or some kind of primer color. If they put a used brake wheel on the car then it...
  11. fire5506

MiroMark's Elevated Work Platform

We have one at the club, It sure makes getting at things in the rear a lot easier. Before I bought one from Micromark, I'd do a google search for topside creeper. I found one for $171 with free shipping.
  12. fire5506

Right of Way Utility Poles - Straight or Leaning

I am an NMRA member and have not seen or heard of a utility pole standard or RP(recommended practice). Since I started railfanning after most lines that I follow did away from wires, all I have to go by is old pictures. Most of the pictures if there was a lean it was generally away from the...
  13. fire5506

Do You Belong to a Model Railroad Club?

I have belonged to a club in every area that I lived at that had one close enough. I currently have 10 years with the club I'm with now. I don't have room for a layout at home, so the club is my layout. I'm there 2 to 3 times a week. I also go to several private layouts for OPS sessions.
  14. fire5506

Managing a tiny tap

Usually tap handles have 2 steps in them, the inner one holds smaller taps and the outer one holds the larger taps. They grip the square, not the diameter.
  15. fire5506

Air pressure questions

I couldn't tell you because I have never seen one go from 0 to 140 at full throttle. At full throttle from 130 to 140 probably takes about 5- 10 seconds. I'm going from memory here.

Back