Recent content by Espeefan

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

1. E

Correct pressure for airbrush?

Depends on the paint thickness. For Modelflex or thinned Floquil (50-50) 25 PSI works just fine.
  2. E

Sound Decoders

Ah the audiophile days! Those lovely sets of racked components, the VU meters, the early LED's, Cassette tape decks and the reel to reel units. I still have the Pioneer receiver I bought in the Navy, as well as the turntable. Both work. The Bose 901's are long gone, but lasted over twenty...
  3. E

Sound Decoders

Soundtraxx and Lok-Sound (ESU) have the best sound files IMHO. If you're going to convert to sound, you want good sound files. A few bucks of cost difference is generally worth it, especially since with 50 year old locos, you're going to be doing hard wired installations (no plug and play...
  4. E

New On30 Layout.

Covid 19
  5. E

Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

That's one of the reasons I like this company's kits Sherrel! His methods are different, but not necessarily more difficult. The chalks I speak of are Rembrandt chalk sticks. You shave off what you need with a single edged razor blade. For that tank, I used three rust shades. They apply...
  6. E

I've been lazy to a degree with figures, preferring the painted ones. This may change when I build a layout but right now they mostly go inside vehicles and passenger trains. There is a Chinese seller on e-Bay who offers 1/100 scale painted figures and they're cheap. I find them ideal for...
  7. E

I weathered up the oil tank and mounted it to the platform. It was an interesting process I hadn't tried before. First you brush on several rust colors of chalk, down the sides of the tank. Then you dip a 1/4" wide brush in alcohol and touch it to the top rim and let the alcohol run down the...
  8. E

One word: Prilosec! Take it from a long time sufferer. If I get stupid with red sauce or hot salsa (as in eating stupidly large amounts of it) I'll still have issues, but for a normal diet it works great and is over the counter.
  9. E

The oil tank and platform are coming along. I have to attach the styrene bracing, and do a little additional weathering. I textured the large timbers with a razor saw blade in addition to the wire brushing. The oil tank, which is a large resin casting, painted up pretty easily. There is a little...
  10. E

Always do the grunt work before weathering! 😁
  11. E

Continuing with O'Neill's: Working on the oil tank platform now, but I decided to see what everything was going to look like. It's all just sitting in place and some things aren't quite where they should be but it gives you the idea! now I have to start finding all of that scenery material I...
  12. E

A little "in between" project. Installing sound into a DCC ready Genesis GP-40. I wish Athearn did something different, like maybe giving you the speaker enclosure the way Scale Trains does. I'll lose a pretty big chunk of weight, but as this loco will be doing light local or switching jobs...
  13. E

McLeod, I don't know if disciplined is the word. I have done other projects in between sessions on this one, and I'm motivating myself to finish it by doing an in depth build thread over on the Sierra West forum. you guys have been getting the "Cliff Notes". That thread has a much more...
  14. E

Happy Saturday everyone. Not posting much lately but I have been lurking. O'Neill's work continues. I probably have about 9 months of evenings and weekends into this kit, though sometimes it's only an evening or two a week, and there have been dead weeks to be honest 😁 Still, I'm getting...
  15. E

Steel Mill Scene in a corner

A steel mill is a very challenging scene to model. They're just so darned huge. I once visited Dean Freytag's home layout. He had modeled a steel mill, and due to his expertise he did a very credible job of it. It took up an entire peninsula, probably 25% of his layout space, maybe a little...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.