Recent content by dgrafix

1. dgrafix

N gauge track

Smallest Kato goes is 150mmR But that is what is known as their "pocket line" range of short wheelbase trams, wagons and simple diesels and shunters. The smallest "practical" I believe is either 249mm or 282mm depending on train. I run some REALLY "fussy" shinkansen trains which are ok at 282...
  2. dgrafix

Have you actually ridden a narrow Gauge train?

We have one in Uppsala Sweden https://lennakatten.se/ Worth a ride if you are up this way. They have a couple of trains consisting of steam and early diesels.
  3. dgrafix

Chris's little layouts

nice, i was wondering if it would fit from the first image 😃 ... I was thinking would that just about work? or would it be kissing it's "kaboose" o_O
  4. dgrafix

Liquid nails

Should be perfect for that (assumig it is the same stuff. Europe is same-same... but different :D )
  5. dgrafix

Using two DC transformers in a layout

I use switched DC too, but I agree we need a sketch of what you want to do. You can use as many controllers as you like as long as they are properly isolated from each other.
  6. dgrafix

Liquid nails

If it's anything like Pattex "no more nails - all materials" then it works well at gluing styrene and XPS together (as well as anything surface to surface). But be aware it has a very rubbery texture when dry. This stuff does not accept painting so should only be used on non visible surfaces...
  7. dgrafix

Building a small shinkansen diorama for a close friend WIP

Will need to trim it a bit when the modge is dry, but am liking the result so far 😁 Still don't know what colour to do the bricks though 🤨
  8. dgrafix

Rails sprayed with WD40 - any risk of fire?

LOL wow i had no idea it attracted insects. It does smell pretty sweet though :D It is a product with a million uses.. (apparently if you spray it on a toilet bowl then you don't need to use the brush for a while.. although i hate to think of the environmental impact of that one!.. so not...
  9. dgrafix

At the end of the day, if in doubt about any chemical, experiment with it.. Safely, ie PPE, goggles, gloves etc & preferably outside. Is this paint good on foam? Try it outdoors. Is it flamable? make a pool of it and see both out of the can/tin/box and after it dries out... Been doing that my...
  10. dgrafix

I wouldn't have thought so. While wd40 is wet it is really flammable, but it's danger evaporates fairly quickly leaving a light "residue" which is just a light oily substance. The gases, "OL"s and whatever other solvents are involved are the "highly flammable" bit. But they don't last long.
  11. dgrafix

Will WD-40 prevent rust?

Yes i agree, it is not good for inclines , probably a problem for really long trains as well. It works quite well on the flat though (but you must make sure it is a micro thin layer.. wax on wax off so to speak :D )
  12. dgrafix

Will WD-40 prevent rust?

No-ox-ide AS is worth a mention too when talking about non-polar treatments, would certainly be a rust preventative. It is a rather thick grease that prevents arcing but is good when applied as a microfilm. It works great on track as long as you don't have too steep inclines. Learned that the...
  13. dgrafix

Will WD-40 prevent rust?

Not seen this before. The original WD is fantastic as a rust removing, de-greasing, largely non conductive water dispersant, a powerful cleaning agent and works as a -temporary- lubricant. As well as a million other uses. But with the original WD you need to re-apply a layer of grease or oil...
  14. dgrafix

The "Tooter" Concept.....

Tooterism is my mantra after a vindaloo and 6 lagers 😂 Is narrow guage in HO & OO (HO-N3?) the same as normal N 9mm guage track? Or is it not the same? I have seen HO models running on N guage at shows. Edit ok I googled it N guage is 9mm, hon3 is 10.3mm. I guess the model I saw at the show was...

Back