Recent content by DaveTheTrain

1. D

Convert DCC FP9 back to DC??

This may seem ridiculous to some, but I just received my Rapido Canadian (its ridiculously fantastic!!) with 2 dual mode sound equipped FP9s. I'm old school and run plain 'ol DC with no interest in converting to DCC and sound. I have three straight DC Rapido FP9s which run fantastic...
  2. D

How to remove J-ball

Hi Folks, I have a new Kato EJ&E SD38 which I want to weather. I don't want to repaint it, but I want to put the stripes on the nose and rear - this means removing the J-ball from the nose. Any advice on how best to do this? I've read about using alcohol but I don't want to ruin the paint...
  3. D

Damn you, Rapido!!!

I bought two of them and was so pleased I bought a third! And they run superbly too. Can't wait for the GMD-1.
  4. D

Rapido FP9A - anyone got one yet?

I'll add that not only do they look superb, but they are among the smoothest running locos I've ever owned. Equally as good as the best Atlas out there - and that is saying a lot!!
  5. D

EMD FP9s still in service - near my home.

You're lucky indeed! I grew up in Toronto and watched these things all over the place. Never thought the day would come when they'd be gone.....
  6. D

What do you use for dullcote/flat finish?

Hi folks, I'm just getting started in painting and weathering my ho scale models with an airbrush. I've been reading a ton and got my first paints to test with - acrylics to start with. The nicest models I see always have a nice flat finish and I'm wondering what people are using? I've read...
  7. D

Athearns new release!

Being a Canadian modeller I'm pretty impressed with the GP38-2W. Its going to be hard to top the new Atlas GP40-2W though - they run smooth as silk and I've had good and bad luck with Genesis engines. But I'll still buy one....
  8. D

New freight engine from Rapido trains

I think Rapido is doing a great job. They are producing high quality Canadian models that I never thought I would ever see modelled in anything besides brass. I have no problem putting $25 down to reserve an engine. I was hoping for a CN SW1200RS, but hey, the GMD1 is pretty close and I'll be...
  9. D

Bowser MLW C630M

Well I for one hope Bowser does more Canadian models. I have 3 of the C630Ms and I rate them a 9 out of 10. Yes, the lighting isn't the best but it could be a lot worse. Mine run very smooth - almost as good as an Atlas! Some details are incorrect (like dynamic brakes on the CN models) but...
  10. D

New loco. No layout.

That's a beautiful model! If you want to give it a good run feel free to send it my way.....
  11. D

P2K SW9/1200 "hunting"

By hunting I mean lurching forward slightly faster, then slower, rather than a nice even speed. Its annoying whatever it is!
  12. D

P2K SW9/1200 "hunting"

Hi all, I have a P2K SW9/1200 which is driving me nuts. I have a switching layout and love locos that crawl along at very slow speeds. This SW runs very nicely in one direction, but in the other direction it "hunts" a bit, and its most noticable at slow speeds. I've taken it all apart...
  13. D

Bogenville Terminal Ry.

That Atlas MP15DC looks great!! And the CP Rail big alco is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see my SD38s when they are finished. For anybody interested, Efram is painting a pair of EJ&E SD38s for me and I highly recommend him if you are in need of some custom work. Dave

Back