Recent content by cv_acr

1. cv_acr

US rollingstock question

Hopper - self-clearing, bottom dumping car for handling bulk materials Covered hopper - similar, but fully enclosed car body for handling bulk materials that need to stay dry Flatcar - flat deck open car. Different cars may have end bulkheads, side stakes, chain tie-downs, etc. for specialized...
  2. cv_acr

BOB BOUDREAU: MAKING IT BIG IN THE SMALL TIME

Bob passed away recently.
  3. cv_acr

Flatcar loads! What have you got?

Home made wrapped lumber loads.
  4. cv_acr

Any tips on cracked gears?

Junk it and replace.
  5. cv_acr

The best protection from the floor?

The best protection is not letting it leave the table in the first place. Having a cushion on the ground helps (and makes it more comfortable to stand and walk around for a long period of time while operating as well) but falling equipment will still take damage.
  6. cv_acr

Does anybody know anything about this locomotive

B&P is Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad (AAR reporting mark is BPRR). It's a shortline in the Genessee & Wyoming family, hence the G&W corporate orange and black colours. Locomotive model is GP9.
  7. cv_acr

Who owns me

ACF and Pullman[-Standard] don't exist anymore. P-S merged into Trinity in the early 1980s. ACF became ARI around the early 2000s, and was merged into Greenbrier in 2019. Also Gunderson and other Greenbrier group brands are no longer used since 2019 - it's all just Greenbrier now. The...
  8. cv_acr

First attempt at custom box car

Usually. Not always. http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cn291060&o=cn
  9. cv_acr

Help With Period Rolling Stock

Chemicals - liquid chemicals in various tank cars, dry chemicals in covered hoppers. Cars would be privately owned/leased. Animal Feed - covered hoppers, leased or RR owned Grain - covered hoppers, probably RR cars but could also be owned or leased by grain shippers like Cargill etc. Animal...
  10. cv_acr

Signals and Block Detection in the Classification Yard

Generally there would not be any kind of signalling within a yard - just the main tracks passing and connecting to the yard.
  11. cv_acr

Which scale is best for yard switching?

DCC or otherwise remote controlled/automatic locomotive couplers are 100% completely useless and worthless gimmicks. If you're ACTUALLY switching cars, more than half of the coupling/uncoupling actions will be between cars, not at the engine.
  12. cv_acr

BBC Sound Effects Library

Original source, not a third-party site: https://sound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk/
  13. cv_acr

Q about caboose lights

Note that many older cabooses didn't have any fixed lights in them, so lighting would just be a kerosene lamp on the table. Agree that you would not have one up in the cupola. Just in the main part of the caboose where the stove and table are. More modern cabooses with electric lighting I am...
  14. cv_acr

Molten Sulfur Tanker

I'm not so sure it would KEEP it at 290 degrees in transit... The car is heavily insulated; the visible exterior of the car is not actually the tank body, but a thin jacket covering a layer of insulation. The car will be loaded hot, and while the insulation will keep things fairly stable, in...
  15. cv_acr

Molten Sulfur Tanker

Not necessarily purged and cleaned as it has all the lettering and the orange "2448" rectangles permanently painted or affixed onto the tank body. Those should be covered up if the car is clean. Most of the sulphur cars I've seen only just have these "placards" permanently painted on the body...

Back