Recent content by ctulanko

1. ctulanko

Lighting a Layout effectively ...

Yellow hue is common with standard luminescent bulbs...photographers using film used filters to negate the yellow hue they give off in photos. In contrast, fluorescent bulbs used to give more of a greenish hue with film, but I find them very acceptable when photographing with a digital camera...
  2. ctulanko

I was given permission to start fresh!

I did some dabbling on your drawing to show you what I would suggest...the three sections are divided by the bold lines and I drew circles and directions to move on three switches. It doesn't look like you have to move them much, so you won't loose much.
  3. ctulanko

Well after taking a look at it, I would split it down the middle vertically, moving the top switch to the right just a few inches for the siding and keep the right side as a 4' x 7', then split the left side into two 4' x 5' sections. A small move up on your far left switch as well as a move...
  4. ctulanko

Beagle, I just re-read one of your posts and saw where you asked about your blast furnace and I found out it was in production from 1846-1849. Now if I were you and you really wanted to build it, which I think would be great, then I would suggest you build it and leave room for a bigger...
  5. ctulanko

Beagle, I grew up in the 60's and we lived in the Youngstown/Warren area, but my dad was from Weirton, WVA and my mom's relatives were in Windber, Johnstown and Pittsburg, so we would make trips down there all the time as a kid. Lots of family to see and I remember the small houses in Windber...
  6. ctulanko

I like what you are doing and it's a similar theme to what I started. I went for the Cerro Azul in 101 Track Plans #47 with my PRR layout and modified it to my needs. It is also based around the PA Steel industry in western Pennsylvania and I am trying to put the timeline between the late 40's...
  7. ctulanko

Ballast size

I am new to ballasting, so I did a bunch of research on ballast before I decided what to buy and I purchased samples to try out before I bought large quantities. I applied them in three inch sections along a rail to see how they would cover and react when applying. I found that the synthetic...
  8. ctulanko

Weathering of tracks

I believe I may have used a similar product on my PRR layout. It was a Medium Rust from Bargdon Enterprises and came in a rectangular plastic bottle. I airbrushed my track flat black first, per the instructions, then tried a couple of methods, first by brushing it on the rail sides and tie...
  9. ctulanko

A "Different" kind of Homemade Static Grass Applicator

I am at the point on my layout where I need to start adding scenery in the yard and from the research photos I have, there are several locations that I would have use for tall, realistic looking wild grass. I decided to start looking at Static Grass Applicators and browsed all over the web...
  10. ctulanko

Bedford water tower

I made my own using poster board and drew a circle on it with a compass, then cut it out and cut a wedge to the center enough for an angle I liked when the ends butted together. I cut another piece of card stock 3/8" wide, pointed at one side like a shallow pencil with its length long enough to...
  11. ctulanko

HO scale layout dilemma

You could always put the larger portion of the layout on either side of the room and run a 1' wide board across the window area...it could technically be a "shelf" and you could still access the window. I too am in an apartment and have a 5' x 12' PRR version of the Cerro Azul in my master...
  12. ctulanko

Best way to ballast

A couple of questions from a beginner here...do you guys use fine or medium ballast for HO layouts? Also, for those of you that posted about using rock, do you have links you can share regarding where to purchase it?
  13. ctulanko

Building/Structure base

I use balsa, as I can sand it into any shape I want. I plasti-coat it with CA to seal it and prevent warping. This makes it both strong and lightweight, as well as easy to paint and gives nice sharp edges for building foundations. It is also fairly impervious to dings. Here are a couple of...
  14. ctulanko

Mines...

Milwaukee Road 113...GREAT link! I had been doing some research for my layout, which includes a coal mine in Windber, PA...that link was very helpful and I wanted to say thanks.
  15. ctulanko

Headlight and Marker Lens Cross Reference for MV products?

As usual Mark, thanks for the help! We will get busy with the dial calipers and document all of our findings in a spreadsheet, in case someone else needs to know in the future. Thanks again, Carl

Back