Recent content by Canalligators

1. C

Must Have Tools

Boom box should be playing recordings of trains passing a grade crossing. But do keep it loud. If you have a beer keg etc. you'll want a toilet there too. On the serious side, let me mentally go down the tool board: Clamps (X-acto and clothespins, small C-clamps) Scissors Aviation...
  2. C

Buying for the future

Whether or not... I'm surprised no one asked if you were handlaying. Here's my two cents: Been there, done that, don't regret it, won't do it again. Handlaying a turnout will cost about half of the cost to purchase, and it's not worth the trouble. Handlaying straight or curved track costs...
  3. C

Amtrak Phase IVb

As many of you know, you can't buy Amtrak Phase IVb decals (current scheme) for low level passenger cars. Per Microscale, Amtrak is pulling a UP and charging high royalties to use the copyrighted images. Grrrr. Only Wathers has the rights... but I don't need to buy new Amfleet cars, just to...
  4. C

A cool railroad tool you can make.

Alternative Nicely done. I've gone the bent coathanger route myself. The advantage there is that you can bend it to fit a loco, or a model car, or a structure... and you can make a bunch of them for $0. I made a paint booth from an old (large) microwave oven. Gut the oven (or...
  5. C

Athearn Engine Shells

Source Our local hobby shop has a consignment bin; yours might also. Athearn locos show up on occasion. Also, I have a spare U33B (painted GN), if you want to get another whole engine. For sale @ reasonable price, or trade for some things. If you're interested, contact me at doswald2 at...
  6. C

Railroad Pole, with bigger selection

Freelanced plus Freelanced shortline that connects to CSX's Water Level Route. My local transit authority (quasi-governmental) owns the track and runs the commuter trains. They host the freight trains (how's that for a nice exchange of roles?). We also have run-through Amtrak (Empire...
  7. C

Here's my layout so far.

A couple of ideas for far-corner access. I recently completed my backdrop and found I had to cut some access holes. One will be "plugged" with a business and the other with stonework for a rock cut. On an earlier iteration of the road, I had a hatch in the scenery area that popped up...
  8. C

Gremlins?

More on the split switch Turns out the car was derailed before it reached the turnout, it just piled up there. (This is why full scale railroads teach their people to not hang around near switches when a train is going through.) I fixed it by elevating a spot on the outside rail that was...
  9. C

Gremlins?

Perhaps It might be wheel wobble (and I'll check it, thanks for the hint), but checking the wheelsets is part of my inspection when I first commission anything, and I also do it at annual inspection. And... I've had trouble with replacement wheelsets too. I think that it's just the...
  10. C

1/87th Vehicles

HO Vehicles Our wallymart has been carrying them for a while. They are great little scenery items. The selection is limited though. As much as I like 300SL Gullwings, you can only put so many of them on the railroad without it looking silly. I have also seen a series of Hot Wheels true...
  11. C

Gremlins?

I was honestly curious if it was just me. I can spend a lot of time tweeking up a turnout. It will gauge perfectly, good profile on the moving rail, modest frog depth, solid motion of the switch machine, gradient is smooth, rails lay flat, etc. Certain pieces still derail every 10 times...

Back