My First Layout

Bruette

Other than holiday trains around the Christmas tree this was my first layout. It was no masterpiece like many others you will find on this forum. It was not even close! It did, however, provide me with a lot of enjoyment. Most of all it showed me I love playing with my trains and I want this to be my hobby.

I dismantled this layout when I moved in 2017.

Recently I was looking for photos of my first layout. I realized they are scattered throughout my Microsoft cloud storage. I decided to use some of my precious little spare time to organize my cloud storage. That gave me the idea to share my photos from my first layout as I did so. It seemed efficient to me.

I want to show others there are many ways to build a layout. I have always believed in "use what you have". I'm glad I did because not only did I enjoy it, but I also learned many things along the way. I began with a 5'x9' ping pong table. I got that idea from a Lionel Fastrack book I read.

One of the first things I learned was I wasn't sure of what I wanted my layout to be. I started with my Lionel Polar Express set, and I bought more conventional Lionel steam locomotive sets. Sets proved to be an economical (cheap) way to expand my inventory of everything, track, rolling stock and locomotives. Even some accessories.

The next thing I learned was, I like diesels better than steam locomotives. I still like my steam engines; I just like diesels better. I also discovered Lionel Standard O trains and later Lionel Scale O trains.

Many Scale O trains require larger radius curves. That led me to thinking "I need more space on my layout". I had some unused furniture that was the same height as the ping pong table. Why not use it? I put the furniture next to three sides of the layout. I put cardboard on top of everything to protect the surface and added OSB to the top to make a uniform surface. I next added brown builder's paper to cover the OSB. I was happy with the look and now I had 7'x13' to play on. It was big enough for Lionel O72 fast track, perfect. At least I thought so.

Important Lessons:
For me, OSB was a mistake. It is strong and cheap, but it is also heavy and exceedingly difficult to get a screw to hold in it.
2. A 7' layout against the wall makes it difficult at best to reach the far side. Even for me, I'm 6'8". The upside of OSB on top of solid wood furniture was I could crawl on it. My knees were not happy with that, but it worked.

I failed to mention I had HO and O trains on my layout. It's my world and I get to say what goes! When I first signed up with this for.um, one of the greatest modelers, I ever knew GarryCBQ told me something like that. It's one of the reasons I stuck with this forum I have grown to love. Unfortunately, Garry is no longer with us, but his spirit of respect and inclusion lives on through many of us.

Now for some photos from my first layout.
1696035841830.png

This is my HO Tyco Spirit of 76 locomotive on my first layout. One like this was my first locomotive. It came in a Tyco set my Mom gave me to set up under our Christmas tree in 1974.

1696035979627.png

This is a Christmas tree my grandson Ayden and I decorated for the layout. Did I mention I have no artistic talent or creativity?

1696036034063.png

This photo shows my layout's construction. In the photo you see my Polar Express, PRR steam locomotive that came in a Lionel set and a Lionel Christmas diesel I bought on eBay pulling some Christmas rolling stock.

1696036074220.png

This is a better photo of my PRR steam locomotive in the previous photo.

1696036171672.png

This is a better photo of my Lionel Christmas locomotive in the previous photo.

1696036471299.png

This is Lionel's GP version of the GM 50.

1696094661311.png

This is an HO Genisis Locomotive. This one is realistic. Sometimes I do buy quality things.

1696036567959.png

This is a Lionel MPC diesel locomotive I dreamed of having since I saw it as a boy. Thanks to eBay I have one all these many years later.

1696036674994.png

This is a K-Line Christmas car showing three things I love, Christmas, Trains, and Looney Tunes!

I'm sorry to have used photos I previously posted in another of my threads The BGR (Bruette's Goofy Railroad) I felt these could not be left out of this thread.

More to come, for now I'm going back to bed to hopefully fall back asleep.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
They look great!
Thank you, Gary! You are very generous and kind.
Great looking Christmas layouts!

I have always wanted to set up an O-scale Christmas layout, but never have gotten around to it.

Maybe your build will inspire me to finally do it this year.
Thank you, Mike!

Not my best Christmas layouts, but I loved them! You are very generous and kind as well.

Originally, I had HO Christmas trains. In 2012 my youngest daughter bought the Lionel Polar Express set for me. I've been hooked on Lionel ever since.

I'm sure if you have the time, you will have all the inspiration you need. Circumstance dictates what we do more than our desire to do it.

I became devoted to this Hobby full time Christmas 2012 when I got my first Lionel set, The Polar Express. I had always wanted Lionel trains when I was a kid. The small apartment I lived in could not provide enough space for one. As my teenage years came on, I got distracted. That Polar Express Set woke up something inside of me and it has never gone back to sleep.

I started out this evening intending on organizing my cloud. I was looking for more photos of my first layout to post. Once I discovered an AnyRail track plan I became sidetracked. When I discovered how easy it is to search the cloud for files the mission to find all my AnyRail files was on!

I just downloaded and reinstalled AnyRail 6.0. I've had the AnyRail license since 2013. The earliest track plan I found was from 1/17/2013. I had the most fun going through all these old track plans. I did not realize they were hidden away in my disorganized Microsoft Cloud. I found more than sixty track plans! I remember now how much I enjoyed playing around and dreaming with the AnyRail software.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I began my layout with a 5'x9' ping pong table. It quickly grew to 7'x9'. Until I found these track plans, I had not realized how quickly it became 7'x13'. I was obsessed with building this layout as big as my basement would accommodate!

Since my Mom gave me the Tyco Spirit of 76 set in 1974, I have had HO trains under my Christmas trees most Christmases. I never completly abandoned the HO trains when I got my Lionel set. How could I? I had used HO trains under my Christmas trees for most of my life. From the track plans I found by early July of 2013 I had plans to incorporate HO trains on my first layout.

That is all for now. I'm sorry no photos, but I did post a track plan.

Looks like you have a future model railroader there!
I would not be at all surprised.
My friend Eddy got that for Christmas one year around 1979 I really wanted that set but I was well please one year for Christmas I got the Tyco Silver Streak with the Piggyback system who knew many years later I would retire from the Intermodal industry. Guess it started with the Sliver Streak Tyco set.lol.
I had little success getting my Tyco set to run reliably. But it did make a great static display under the Christmas tree.

I remember the silver streak set! In the 80s I worked part time in Toys R Us assembling bikes, doll houses and other toys during the Christmas season. I would often look at the model trains during my breaks.

I never worked in the intermodal industry, but I love my Lionel Piggyback cars! And my Tyco set had a Piggyback car as well.

Last edited:
I took over every available inch with that layout. I suspect that is why many other basement layouts are cluttered as well.

I willing to bet when I get my layout in the attic up and running there will be clutter. You should see my desks!
Louis: Cluttered desks means ordered mind. And you say desks: You should see mine - 4 for the most part. Can't see the surface on the one in the house except for between the keyboard and the wingnut in the chair, other 3 are not too bad - give me time.

Later

Back