The Dreaded Rope Bridge

I think this would look good on either your or Mike's layout, this come in HO too.
I went searching for Faller after seeing Jeffs bridge, I never realized that they made so many different styles in both N and Ho.

It seems they are available, but not often in stock, at least not in the U.S. Walthers always lists them on their web site, but they are almost never in stock. I had mine shipped from Europe. This was a couple of years ago, things may be better now that word shipping logistics have somewhat stabilized.

As to the 'rope bridge' The pix is one over the Kootenai River just below the falls. Google maps did not do to good on resolution this time. It does not go over the railroad - too bad! Note that it is not 'rope' but has steel cables with a wooden walkway. Also note that somebody spelled the river name wrong somewhere down the line.
KootenaiBridge.jpg

I think I have better pix ... it is the somewhere part and if I find them, will post.

Later

Got to wondering about the river spelling. Kootenay is the Canadian name for the river. It changes to Kootenai in the USofA. Feeds into Lake KooCanUsa which starts in Canada - bout 75 miles North of us.

Later

Thats not a bad idea. I'm growing fonder of that bridge the more I look at it!

Wonder how bad that is to assemble?
Actually very easy, they include an exploded diagram too.

Built of dark limestone, the bridge is on the route from Tiefencastel to Filisur in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. The Landwasser Viaduct is a 136 meter long and 65 meter high railway bridge of the Rhaetian Railway and is considered a landmark of the railway company.
The curved viaduct consists of 2 bridge parts with track beds, each 45° (can be shortened to 30°) and a central radius of 193 mm. The passage height with pillars is 57 mm (6 pillars of 38 mm each). The bridge parts can also be used individually. The viaduct set can be driven on in one lane and also includes 2 tunnel portals that complete the set perfectly.

This kit contains: 65 individual parts in 2 colors and 1 building instruction

Last edited:
I could totally do a European layout!!! :D :D :D
I think Europe has a larger diversified landscape than the US in a much smaller area, you only need to look at southern France/Italy and Austria, don't get me wrong, the US has its own amazing landscapes too.
But you could easily "borrow" aspects of Europe and still base it in the US, unless you intend to go on a massive spending spree for European Locomotives and rolling stock.

Last edited:

Back