Arch Foot Bridge

We're not quite that lucky - we live in a "flood zone apparently" and have the Canisteo River very close to us. Luckily, we have a reasonable size field and the tracks between us and the river so the likely hood of water coming up that high is remote; although, possible. I have seen the field under water but still a long way from the top of the tracks.

Pulling magnetic metal from the river. We stand on a old single lane bridge. One end of your rope is tied to the bridge to prevent you from losing your magnet. The other end has a magnet of your choice. Toss the magnet into the river. Pull it back to you and see if you caught anything. If you do, pull it off the magnet and save it in a bucket. Throw the magnet out again. Have found plenty of railroad items. If what you find is in decent shape, you could restore them. Mostly what we catch gets recycled. My twin boys have magnets that are easier for them to throw out. My magnet is about 12 pounds with a pull force of 3250 pounds. You can hear the metal stick onto it with a loud click or feel it through the rope.

Pulling magnetic metal from the river. We stand on a old single lane bridge. One end of your rope is tied to the bridge to prevent you from losing your magnet. The other end has a magnet of your choice. Toss the magnet into the river. Pull it back to you and see if you caught anything. If you do, pull it off the magnet and save it in a bucket. Throw the magnet out again. Have found plenty of railroad items. If what you find is in decent shape, you could restore them. Mostly what we catch gets recycled. My twin boys have magnets that are easier for them to throw out. My magnet is about 12 pounds with a pull force of 3250 pounds. You can hear the metal stick onto it with a loud click or feel it through the rope.
I too have never heard of it. Should come to Chicago, bet in some of them rivers you will find some very interesting stuff!

It’s something different to do. Gets us outside away from electronics. YouTube has some videos on magnet fishing. I’ve yet to find a gun though. Quick list of what we’ve caught so far.
Railroad items
Spikes, track clips, nuts, bolts, tie plates, brake shoes and a spring.
Found fishing lures, signs, knives, tools, cans, chains, another magnet, keys, part of a bbq grill, brake pads, wheel bearing and a air filter cover. I know I’m forgetting about a few things…😀😀

Back