Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Looking at a few videos on CSX coal cars I noticed a few had paint peeling exposing the aluminum underside. I had some aluminum paint and decided to try it out. One not done and one done. Not to sure though.
IMG_5921.jpg
IMG_5922.jpg

Looking at a few videos on CSX coal cars I noticed a few had paint peeling exposing the aluminum underside. I had some aluminum paint and decided to try it out. One not done and one done. Not to sure though.View attachment 164054View attachment 164055
I am liking it, do you intend to dirty it as well.
fyi if you ever fancy giving the wagon a dent, heat a spoon and press the plastic, I have tried it on a wheel…not on rolling stock!

Attachments

• C33DDDAE-F2C9-49F4-AEAE-8E5B794DC0B5.jpeg
    C33DDDAE-F2C9-49F4-AEAE-8E5B794DC0B5.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 24
I am liking it, do you intend to dirty it as well.
fyi if you ever fancy giving the wagon a dent, heat a spoon and press the plastic, I have tried it on a wheel…not on rolling stock!
Coal cars don't get dented like the gondola car that get different types of loads.
I'm thinking of toning it down a bit. You can see how this one the aluminum is a bit dirty. A bit of earth airbrushed should do the trick.
IMG_5923.jpg

I bought these cheap
7B4EB757-15D2-4FD0-94AD-C49883035000.jpeg

not the best models
5B46B586-67C1-4E56-98CE-F3BB847091BD.jpeg

C15F415A-CCD3-488F-94B7-CEBF2BE2C477.jpeg

airbrushed a dull grey
9BBA9B98-04C3-4992-8AF6-366EE88342F6.jpeg

then worked on a rusty finish
4FEA978E-2865-4EAF-8A1C-C551E87DECDD.jpeg

no upgrade to the inside
53CFB288-F654-4154-991B-523C0F396BF3.jpeg

just paint
587BCCDA-BAE6-4FBE-AC0E-7B2813E653A1.jpeg

paints and DCC concepts powders in rusts
67178966-4A6E-4F71-99CC-F75BAA80375F.jpeg

and their black
8B27FF47-7B8C-45A3-A8D4-F3F8EFE4646E.jpeg

white acrylic for the condition.

I cut some !0 thousand thick plastic strips to add some missing detail and glue on, used a reference site to get a decent reference to use

Coal cars don't get dented like the gondola car that get different types of loads.
I'm thinking of toning it down a bit. You can see how this one the aluminum is a bit dirty. A bit of earth airbrushed should do the trick.View attachment 164069
You can see the yellow peeling,if you get a thicker glue that does not lie flat you can edge the logo and then paint the glue a toning yellow to look like it flakes,the same with sone of the grey there appears to be three layers , the grey an off white then the aluminium which here has two colours dirtying the exposed wagon
some yellow gel pens might add the graffitti, I would use tracing paper pencil it,rub the back with a hb or b pencil then redraw it onto the wagon then go over with the gel pen, that is just one way loads of other approaches would do the job as well or better.
but I like your take and I would definitely give it a go as you started.

I've a bottle of VMS which arrived last week, I'll use that on the StClair and CN cars rather than then Tamiya clear I have, I may get some Army Painters, I'll see how you get on with it first tho' :)
What I learned about the VMS varnishes is clean the airbrish no longer than 5 minutes after you use it. That to me is the only real issue I have with it. I spray it at 30-35psi

This morning I was looking at this contemplating my next move. I kept coming back to the orange inside of this hopper. My thought was, to paint it a brown color to get rid of all that orange. I dug through my paint stash. Found a suitable acrylic brown. It is just a base and most of it will be different rusts anyway. Now looking at it I should have hit the top as well. probably will do that as that would be rusted as ell from debris falling on it. I tried to stipple the brush to give it a little texture. It looks like most of it leveled as it dried.

Comments or suggestions?

P. S you can't offend me.... give it to me straight!

IView attachment 164015

View attachment 164016
Great start. I like it.

I had to go look at page 22. Thanks Smudge617, it was a good reminder of doing gondolas for me. I mix colors on gondola floors but your 1 color looks super. I stipple one color at a time while still wet. But like everything else, there are tons of ways to do this. The top edge you can handle when you do the sides of the cars. Or you can swipe some ofthe floor color on it now. But when you do the sides you can just start at the top edge and pull down. It will blend.

As CambriaArea51 mentioned the slide area to the bottom hatches would be smoother, less paint color, shiny like… I use the lead from a pencil on Centerbeams to create the scratches from where the forklifts would scratch the floor plates picking up, that might work for the floors here.

Here is the first attempt:

Two things I learned.
1. 91% alcohol is way to shout for a wash.
2. Youtubers make this look really easy.

This was strictly the brown base i referred to a few posts up.
VA light rust
VA rust

Then a mix of the two in Alcohol.

Lay the good, bad, ugly on me!

99E62765-9DC1-416A-9C73-E8F9CCEBD7B1.jpeg
075B7792-EEDF-48F3-A5E2-7A6A17CB0C2C.jpeg
F7058DF3-3CCF-46BD-A6FD-0CF59A94E92E.jpeg

UGG!!! I see I have a brush hair in the last photo.

Definitely, at least until you get it down pat anyway, I think TomO still uses his.
I have a note book I used to keep track of formula mixes. I do occasionally reference it but many things I now do by eye.

What I have started doing, especially when using the Pan Pastels is to note on the picture comment area which one I used.

example
C0ED697D-6B34-4B8A-B0AC-3B3FF6BCE490.png

On the above picture I added the comment from my notes finally today. I sent a picture of the trucks and PP to the client so he could decide what truck color he preferred.
1B804E46-F4AD-4B3F-AA61-33790DA01455.jpeg
I take many pictures as I process a weathering project. As I have written before the camera often catches what I don’t and with 1st time clients it helps build trust as I learn what they want

I have a note book I used to keep track of formula mixes. I do occasionally reference it but many things I now do by eye.

What I have started doing, especially when using the Pan Pastels is to note on the picture comment area which one I used.

example
View attachment 164105
On the above picture I added the comment from my notes finally today. I sent a picture of the trucks and PP to the client so he could decide what truck color he preferred.
View attachment 164106I take many pictures as I process a weathering project. As I have written before the camera often catches what I don’t and with 1st time clients it helps build trust as I learn what they want

Thats a great idea.

Here is the first attempt:

Two things I learned.
1. 91% alcohol is way to shout for a wash.
2. Youtubers make this look really easy.

This was strictly the brown base i referred to a few posts up.
VA light rust
VA rust

Then a mix of the two in Alcohol.

Lay the good, bad, ugly on me!

View attachment 164094View attachment 164095View attachment 164096
UGG!!! I see I have a brush hair in the last photo.
Get the hair out… tweezers or Exacto to scratch it out and dab some more of your paint mix over it. No biggie but frustrating isn’t it?

Not sure what you mean by 91% IPA is too SHOUT for a wash. What is SHOUT?

I mix 99% Isopropyl Alcohol only with Tamiya Arcylics in my airbrush. I also use it to clean the freight car as I do not clean with warm soap and water.

I use tap water when I create washes with any of the Vallejo lines. Air, mecha, Panzer Aces or Model Color. I do not use IPA of any % with Vallejo paints. I rarely now use Vallejo Air in the airbrush but if shaken well it sprays nicely. For me the tip dry with VA is not worth my time, Tamiya for me works great. YMMV

Many of the YT content providers make it look easy by way of editing and not commenting about issues. I am now friendly with a few of the YT content weathering guys. One says he will do 4-5 makeovers to get what he wants to show. Another is Dan Arnold who is Dansrailroad2011 on YTwho shows it straight, rarely retakes and shows it as he does it. He is very good, explains well and a must see.

Back